Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How do I assign material to components in an assembly imported from a .stp file?

sam_quintanarsam_quintanar Member Posts: 10
I imported a .stp file and got this motor reducer assembly:  https://cad.onshape.com/documents/96926fdf99cd2e3de6461ad5/w/1a1dc9a7bf5a2089c598e726/e/af63ce359e5447dcfd65c937

I'd  like to assign material to each part of the assembly so mass properties can be shown. What is the workflow to accomplish this?

Answers

• Options
    sam_quintanarsam_quintanar Member Posts: 10
    The answer is:

1. Select a part from the part list, then  right-click on line selected in part list and click on ‘Edit in context’.

2. Click on part in part list & right-click on line selected in part list and click on ‘Assign material’ 

3.  After assigning material click on ‘Go to assembly’ button in top panel showing ‘Name-of-assembly displayed’ to return to assembly document