Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Running into workflow issues breaking other parts

WaldPinklerWaldPinkler Member Posts: 25 EDU
I've looked through the help and some videos but could someone point me in the right direction on workflow?

I'm modelling a boat. There are major parts such as the cabin top that gets modified as other parts are added.

For example the window part studio derives the cabin top and make holes for them. Afterwards the companionway steps derive the windowed cabin and makes it own hole.

It ends up being a loop of derived parts that gets hard to keep track off.

After those changes I want to position the mast on the cabin top but I've lost some dimensions because of the holes. The mast would add it's own modification to the cabin too.

I'm thinking there's a clean way to manage these changes.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Domenico_DiMareDomenico_DiMare Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 85
    You might want to try modelling more of the parts together in the same part studio instead of using derived. That way all the geometry and sketches are there to reference easily.

Alternatively you might want to look into in-context modeling. Learning center course here: https://learn.onshape.com/courses/managed-in-context-design
    With in-context you can assemble parts in an assembly and then use the assembly context (geometry of the other parts and their locations) to modify or make new parts.

FYI in general on the forum, it helps if you make your document public and copy/paste the document link in your post. That way people can take a look at what you are doing and provide better help.