Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How do I line up parts in Parts Studio without having to zoom in?

miko_cardenasmiko_cardenas OS Professional Posts: 17
I am teaching myself Onshape and CAD in general.  This is the first time doing this...
In positioning parts I tried using the Transform function and having to enter the values for XYZ but found myself having to zoom in to the point where it became challenging figuring out where one part ended and the other began (hope that makes sense).    

I tried understanding the concept of Mate Connectors but the tutorials I've seen are definitely not geared towards someone who only has a couple of weeks of PT experience...

Best Answers

Answers

• Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Unless your parts are moving, you are probably better to avoid assemblies and stay in the Part Studio, which accomodates multiple parts and makes it easy to position them relative to each other.

Check the webinar on Multi Part Modelling,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jmq4sFAv8_M&list=PL4FdDkwWXT9oY5tm3Ql5pMe8bitozQcub&index=2

If you scroll to the bottom of your feature list there's a Parts list.
    Clicking on the Eye icon enables you to hide and show parts, which helps get at what's behind them.
  • Options
    Hi Andrew, 

Thanks for the quick responses.  I have been constructing this in the Parts Studio....I will try hiding the parts tip though, hopefully that will do the trick.   
  • Options
    @peter_hall  I am definitely looking fwd to the day that I am versed in using the Parts Assembly!  Thanks for sharing your experience.