Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Render studio sticker position relative to face

shawn_crockershawn_crocker Member, OS Professional Posts: 804 PRO
Is there a way to keep a sticker appearance following the face it is applied to?  I am experiencing the texture being applied as though the texture is stationary and the geometry moves around under it.  When making renders of a configured product, every time the size changes I have to mess around with the transforms of the appearance to get it to be centered on the face again.  working in meters makes this a bit tedious.
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Options
    Paul_ArdenPaul_Arden Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 164
    Answer ✓
    By default the texture projection is world space and so remains stationary when objects move. You can change this in the UV projector function to be object space in which case the projection will be affected by the objects transformation.

For Part Studios however this won't make any difference since objects within Part Studios are not transformed. For Assemblies however the difference would be noticeable since every insertion in an Assembly has an associated transformation.

You can also create an alternative projector and assign it just to specific objects if needed and use a different projection type (e.g., cubic). Currently unfortunately adjusting the parameters and positioning can be a little tricky as there are no graphical widgets to control it.

Answers

• Options
    Answer ✓
    By default the texture projection is world space and so remains stationary when objects move. You can change this in the UV projector function to be object space in which case the projection will be affected by the objects transformation.

For Part Studios however this won't make any difference since objects within Part Studios are not transformed. For Assemblies however the difference would be noticeable since every insertion in an Assembly has an associated transformation.

You can also create an alternative projector and assign it just to specific objects if needed and use a different projection type (e.g., cubic). Currently unfortunately adjusting the parameters and positioning can be a little tricky as there are no graphical widgets to control it.
  • Options
    shawn_crockershawn_crocker Member, OS Professional Posts: 804 PRO
    Thanks alot @Paul_Arden.  That's what I need for now!  I've been note padding the settings needed for certain product sizes so I can easily reassign the correct parameters to the sticker.  This is going to be much easier.  I keep forgetting about the projector settings that are sneakily tucked away.
  • Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,504 PRO
    Hmm...
    I have to admit I don't really understand UV projectors... I looked in the help and it shows "how" to create a new one and apply but it doesn't really help me understand when/why you should use them (other than with the sticker example here...).
    Is there any resource out there that explains what they do and when to use them a bit more clearly?
  • Options
    Is there any resource out there that explains what they do and when to use them a bit more clearly?
    Currently not. For many use cases the defaults do not need to be adjusted but obviously for specific placements of textures it might be required. We hope to simplify it in the future but for now there is some trial and error involved.

The different projections offered however are very similar to those found in other rendering tools (planar, cubic, cylindrical, spherical and triplanar). As mentioned earlier however we don't have nice visual widgets to control them yet.
  • Options
    Tony_C_Tony_C_ Member Posts: 272 PRO

Thanks!! Your answer just saved my mouse from being thrown across the room.