Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Struggling with mate connectors on imported parts

dave_franchinodave_franchino Member Posts: 37
Hey folks, reasonably new to Onshape after years of running Solidworks and really struggling with mate connectors. Right now I'm trying to assemble a simple worm gear set using some STL imports from a web site. When I import the parts to Onshape it creates a part studio with the part named Part(1). I renamed the part to be M1x40 Spur Gear.  But when I assemble this into an assembly the part is STILL coming in named as Part(1) and there isn't any option to update it.  

Beyond that because the part is an STL, I can't seem to add a mate connector in the assembly model to the Part in the center of the hub. I went out into Part Studio and created a mate connector on the part - but that mate connector doesn't appear in the Assembly.  

Yikes!  Am I the only one who things Onshape got a little too cute with mate connectors?  I miss access to the model tree in Assembly mode and access to planes and axis!

Thanks for any advice!!!

Comments