Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

New CNC Overcuts (/Dogbones) custom feature

hendrik_kueckhendrik_kueck Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
edited January 2023 in FeatureScript
I wrote a new FeatureScript for adding overcuts (dogbones) to all corners of a part that need them to make the part CNC machinable. 
I am aware that there are existing custom features for this, but I believe this one is a bit simpler to use, and adds a couple new features. 

You simply select the parts that you want overcuts to be added to and the Featurescript figures out all the corners that need overcuts automatically. 
The overcuts are automatically extended all the way to the top of the part. 

If desired the direction along which overcuts should be placed can be specified, and there is an option to add fillets to the ends of the overcuts (to achieve smoother CNC toolpaths).

Get the custom feature here and make sure to read the PDF documentation about how to use it and which preconditions your part needs to satisfy for the script to work. 

Example of choosing the overcut placement direction:

Comments

• Options
    MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,718 PRO

Thanks for sharing! 

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • Options
    wout_theelen541wout_theelen541 Member, csevp Posts: 198 PRO
    This is a great feature script. One click and your done.
  • Options
    dirk_van_der_vaartdirk_van_der_vaart Member Posts: 543 ✭✭✭
    Adding fillet's is a time-saver!!!
  • Options
    GWS50GWS50 Member Posts: 381 PRO
    I use this feature script a lot, a real time saver. Thank you for the update
  • Options
    nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 670 PRO
    Hi, I just saw this feature, and its really nice. I have a few suggestions.

1) Normally something like this is used when the mating part has a sharp corner. The way the FS works now, is to make the curved cut touch the theoretical sharp. I think there should be an option to make it slightly outbound of that. Something like .010" (or user defined). This would allow a part with a sharp corner, and even possible burrs, to register well, instead of possibly rocking in that corner if the machining tolerances on either part are not perfect.

2) If the tool diameter is input as the real tool diameter, there will be a dwell in the corner during the machining. Not ideal for the tool. I'd suggest a setting where the feature it cuts is a user selectable amount larger than the tool diameter. This of course can be accomplished simply by putting a bigger number than the tool diameter currently.

Thanks for the consideration:)
  • Options
    Thank you for the kind words, everyone!
    What happened, how come you all commented on the same day, nearly half a year after I posted this? Was it feature script appreciation day, or was it highlighted somewhere? Anyway, I definitely appreciate the positive feedback, good to know some people are using it and are finding it useful. 

Nick, thank you for the feedback and the suggestions. 
    1) Great point, that would be a useful additional parameter. 
    2) Maybe I should just rename the option from "Tool Diameter" to "Overcut diameter" and explain in the PDF that this should be set to the tool diameter, or slightly larger than that to avoid the tool dwelling in the corner. 

• Options
    ryan_mcgoldrickryan_mcgoldrick Member Posts: 66 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2023
    Could you make a script to creat tabs onto parts that remain after parts are cut? Similiar to Fusion 360 CAM this is a slow and long process if it could be coded that would be amazing. Nice work on this one, haven't used yet but sure it will come in handy.
  • Options
    Interesting idea, but I think tabs would have to be created inside a CAM program.