Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Downsize large step files

Hi together,
i export step Files (sheet metal part) and send them to producers. The step files contain a high amount of surfaces, that makes the step file pretty large and the producers cannot handle it.
How can i compress a step file to get a smaller step file size?
Attached the sheet metal part, it has 12 MB, i need it with 6-8 MB.
Thanks a lot in advance for your help.

Answers

• Options
    billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    zip it up. It's a text file and can be very large. It'll zip down nicely. 

The other is parasolids, it's already compressed but fewer people know what to do with it.

• Options
    Matthias_KrummMatthias_Krumm Member Posts: 2 PRO
    Thanks for your answer. The problem is, that i need to upload it as a .step file. 
    So it must be a smaller step file.
  • Options
    bryan_lagrangebryan_lagrange Member, User Group Leader Posts: 794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We accept and use files of this size for Laser cutting. I am sure online vendors such as Send cut Send and Xometry would as well.
    Bryan Lagrange
    Twitter: @BryanLAGdesign