Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

PRINCIPIA - INTEGRATED MULTIBODY DYNAMICS SIMULATION

StadlesStadles Member Posts: 6

Hello Onshape Community!
My name is Daniel, I am a numerical dynamics engineer from Austria and my first post in this awesome knowledge data base is to introduce you to our novel app PRINCIPIA.

PRINCIPIA is THE cloud native Multibody Dynamics Simulation App to Onshape!

It perfectly fits into the proven Onshape workflow and, as an initial step, closes the gap between Onshape Assembly and Onshape Simulation.

Imagine you want to run a structural analysis simulation on a certain part of yours. As with any FEM simulation, you need to provide Onshape Simulation with forces/moments acting on your part.
While this can be a simple task in terms of a single part mechanism, deriving actual loadcases within a multi-part mechanism can be very tricky.

This is exactly where PRINCIPIA comes into play.

We want you to do this within the native Onshape UI&UX, therefore you keep modelling through Mate Connectors, as if you extend your kinematic model. And just like that, you compute the dynamical response.

We take your kinematic model, as defined within the Onshape Assembly, ask you to add a minimum of inputs (e.g., the distance a lever travels / the torque your RC motor produces) and compute loads, moments, contact forces etc. for any part of your mechanism.

And the best thing, you can directly save your results within a variable table and use it in Onshape Simulation as an Input, deriving a fully defined Simulation model.

Some facts:

- Deep integration into the Onshape environment

- Set up your simulation using Onshape standard controls for Mates and Mate Connectors

- Simulation is based on our automotive industry proven Multibody Simulation Kernel (solving the constrained equations of motion by a set of Differential Algebraic Equations utilizing an HHT solver algorithm)

- Close collaboration with Onshape Dev team for continuous integration

We are proud to be ready to test this within a closed user group and anticipate you to Register here for a test account.

So long,
Daniel
principia-mbs.com

PRINCIPIA - cloud-native multibody simulation for Onshape

Register as test user!

Comments

• Options
    Aaron_MagninAaron_Magnin Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 114
    Very exciting @Stadles! Congrats to you and the rest of the Principia team, I know you've been hard at work on this. I'm going to do my best to spread the good word. 
  • Options
    sebastian_glanznersebastian_glanzner Member, Developers Posts: 401 PRO
    This is amazing news! 
    The Deep Integration sounds like a great advantage for the design process. Can't wait to see how PRINCIPIA works together with Onshape Simulation  :)
  • Options
    Thanks Aaron,
    appreciate your support!

Register as test user!
  • Options
    bert_fouriebert_fourie Member Posts: 101 PRO
    Looks fantastic! I need this! Can it deal with sliding surfaces?
  • Options
    soberpeisoberpei Member Posts: 2
    Looks fantastic! I need this! Can it deal with sliding surfaces?
    yes, Principia comes with a contact model (using boundary layer model) in its full version. Currently, the contact model is deactivated as this feature needs further development to be handy for users. If you wish, I can demo it to you!
  • Options
    This is amazing news! 
    The Deep Integration sounds like a great advantage for the design process. Can't wait to see how PRINCIPIA works together with Onshape Simulation  :)
    And so do we! The Bits and Bytes are almost aligned to give you the ultimate experience.

Register as test user!
  • Options
    Hello Onshape experts.

It's been a while since our latest update. Thank you very much for the ongoing interest and feedback to Principia MBS simulation throughout the Alpha test phase we are in.
    Today, I am reaching out to ask for a favor: Let us learn through your experience and best practice in design validation to make Principia even better. Please take 15 minutes for us and help us to design another step towards a complete engineering platform.
    Please reply here, send me a PN or drop an email to daniel@principia-mbs.com and I will contact you personally for a short meeting.

If you want to test Principia, there is always the possibility to evaluate Principia MBS simulation as a test user.

Thank you so much,
    Daniel

Register as test user!