Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Extruding beside an edge

I'm fairly new to Onshape, so I'm not sure if I am explaining this correctly. My students are creating puzzle cubes and we are struggling to create certain shapes that require an extrusion that hits the edge of another part of the shape. It only works if we do a "new" extrusion instead of adding onto the existing one, which we don't want. I'm sure this is an easy fix, but I can't seem to find an answer anywhere. 
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/e9f0e4292ad89907f19a706e/w/a931088c9dbe258ba586b4f9/e/d6291ad707ace1f9c06d9b55?renderMode=0&uiState=63e3b974b7fb7508c18bbbb0

Comments

• Options
    _anton_anton Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 276
    Welcome to the forum! Here, you're trying to create nonmanifold geometry, which isn't allowed. You wouldn't be able to physically create such geometry.

If you need something approximating this, you can create multiple blocks, use the Move face tool to add a small offset, and then boolean them together.
  • Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,368 PRO
    edited February 2023
    If you're actually making these as real parts (3D printed or otherwise), you might want to put small fillets on all the corners, and consider the tolerances on the parts in order for them to fit together (i.e. you'll need gaps between them based on your production method). Even if you were wire-EDM and/or grinding the parts out of tool steel, you'd probably need gaps of 10-50µm (0.0004"-0.002").
  • Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,515 PRO
    You could also create them as separate parts and create a composite at the end to "group" them into a single entity instead of making them a single actual body.