Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How do you search for a part by name?

Our team has a number of linked documents with multiple subassemblies and part studios in each.   We have a separate spreadsheet we use for quick-and-dirty PDM / part tracking.  Every part has a unique name in the Onshape documents and in the table.    We want to be able to find a part, using the part name in the table, so that users can perform the next task (prepare a drawing, export a step file, make measurements for materials etc).

However I can't find a way to actually search for a part using its name.  Searching the Onshape file manager appears to only look for document titles.  And even if we find the right document, searching in the tab manager only brings up part studio names - not the parts themselves.   Finding a part seems like a very basic feature!  What am I overlooking?

Best Answer

• Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,520 PRO
    Answer ✓
    The drop down (hit the little arrow at the end) allows for all kinds of filtering including by part.

Answers

• Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,520 PRO
    Answer ✓
    The drop down (hit the little arrow at the end) allows for all kinds of filtering including by part.

• Options
    brendan_simonsbrendan_simons Member Posts: 4 EDU
    That's the hidden feature I was looking for.  Thanks!
  • Options
    joshua_targownikjoshua_targownik Member Posts: 11 EDU
    how do I do this for an imported step file with 1000 parts?