Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How do I disconnect 2 parts in the assembly and how to place a tabletop?

ProApeProApe Member Posts: 52
Hello,

How can I disconnect 2 parts connected in the assembly?
How do I place a tabletop not with one corner on the outer corner of a table leg, but so that it protrudes 5 cm all around?

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/866b71c285a7b3cee8e662ff/w/25d6199479c64b757aa66fa8/e/cccc2cd00a0d614d443a16cb

I had asked the question how I can rotate parts in the assembly; I found that myself.

When I ask a question here, it doesn't appear in the community. Is there a delay or how does it work?

Kind regards
ProApe

Answers

• Options
    MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,713 PRO
    edited February 2023

Hi @ProApe, the way to do this would be to place the mate connector on your parts when you create them in the part studio. There are tutorials for how to do this with the very best practices here in the Learning Lenter - Learning pathways

For now, you could use an in-context edit to add a mate connector between two of the parts so that you can mate the top to the new mate connector. See the gif below:

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/3292fc621a34cc9f6a464715/w/e462f74b2e4e70429bf5bbe3/e/5da84e99a6cb5018d40748b6?renderMode=0&uiState=63ed0d468f9af21504b1df7d

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • Options
    Hi,

Ok, if I understand correctly, the middle of the panel to the middle of the frame.

I added strips to the top long struts and one of them is now turned upside down. So I would have to loosen it and turn it, but I haven't figured out how.

And my other question: why do I never see my questions, nor will I see if this answer has been posted or not. Do I do something wrong?

Best regards
    ProApe

• Options
    MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,713 PRO
    edited February 2023

It's hard to visualize that, I'm not sure. Definitely check out that learning center though. It has made me much more efficient at Onshape saving tons of time. If you do those tutorials, you will have no problem putting together a table B)

My forum notifications have been messing up too. I haven't been able to fix mine.

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • Options
    I never see if a message is posted or not.

Does someone know I may undo  the connections in order to turn this long strut by 180°?
  • Options
    robert_scott_jr_robert_scott_jr_ Member Posts: 317 ✭✭✭
    Not sure what long strut you mean or in which way to turn it; end to end, along it's length axis? Why do you want to turn it? - Scotty
  • Options
    In the attached image you see what I mean:
    the stripes are only on one side of the long struts, so the rear strut has the stripes on the inside instead of the outside. I have to turn the rear strut horizontally by 180°, but it's attached to the framework of the table and if I turn it around I turn the whole table, therefore I have to disconnect it first.

• Options
    robert_scott_jr_robert_scott_jr_ Member Posts: 317 ✭✭✭
    Go to your Fastened 11 Mate in Mate Features and click on the arrow to the left of 'Fastened 11'. Right click on the second mate connector and select Edit in the menu box. Delete the location you selected as the Origin Entity and select the other end of the strut. The orientation of the strut will not be correct . Rotate it around by using the Rotate secondary axis option at the bottom of the dialog box.
  • Options
    In the attached image you see what I mean:
    the stripes are only on one side of the long struts, so the rear strut has the stripes on the inside instead of the outside. I have to turn the rear strut horizontally by 180°, but it's attached to the framework of the table and if I turn it around I turn the whole table, therefore I have to disconnect it first.

• Options
    Hi,
    Thank you for your answer.
    It's very (unnecessary) complicated. Until now I had designed the objects that I want to construct in Sketchup, where ist is very easy to connect the parts together and also to disconnect them. I wonder why these simple actions are so complicated in Onshape. What is possible in a less performant CAD program should also be possible in Onshape.
  • Options
    dirk_van_der_vaartdirk_van_der_vaart Member Posts: 541 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2023
    I took a look at your document and I am sorry to say but you made your life real complicated this way.
    You have all the parts in1 Part studio that's good, but it's way better to design the parts in the correct position in that Part studio
    Have a look at the learning centre and look at Multi part Studios
    Here is an example,
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/cab879beb5915616fb8bc500/w/73ff49efddd89eb8a59a9776/e/04781552f16083d523ba304b
  • Options
    Ok, but I added those stripes only afterwards and so it is normal that both struts with the added stripes are ortiented in the same direction and that one of them has to be rotated horizontally by 180°.
    It must be possible to make changes et any moment and that's the consequence of that ability.
  • Options
    nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 663 PRO
    ProApe said:
    Ok, but I added those stripes only afterwards and so it is normal that both struts with the added stripes are ortiented in the same direction and that one of them has to be rotated horizontally by 180°.
    It must be possible to make changes et any moment and that's the consequence of that ability.
    Yes, you can change directions, flip parts, rotate parts, etc. Its all done during the mate process within assembly mode. Often times it helps if "before" you make the mate, to orient the part in the approximate position, and have its rotation/flip correct. Do that with the arrows and the angle handles when you click on a part. Then, go to actually mate it, and it will "snap" in the correct orientation.
  • Options
    For forum posting, I think when a member is relatively new, the posts might need to be approved by a moderator. I hypothesize this, because I have a second, personal account, besides this work account. Anytime I try to post on the personal account, it takes a few hours before my post shows up.
  • Options
    edited April 2023

For future reference, when you model something like this table, you generally model the parts where they would be in real life. Rather than any random place. Then, the parts are all in the correct place in the assy. See this example:

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/c55bd9f097a885f069a96d26/v/d17db89ca99ca34cbb3ab7f0/e/e3a29bf28ef3391fefc195ae?renderMode=0&uiState=644200b9e0ee7026498319b4

Besides making the assembly easier, it makes the part studio significantly better. All the parts are interrelated. If you change the size of the top, the legs will move automatically, the aprons and stretchers will automatically become longer, and the 50mm overhang of the top to the legs will remain. Take a look at the first sketch, it is very simple, yet contains the entire basic design.

You can also consolidate steps. For example, you drew a separate mortise, and a separate tenon. If you had the legs drawn in place, you could draw the tenon on the apron and extrude it. Then, use it to "boolean subtract" the mortise from the leg. You can even do an offset within the boolean subtract feature to leave .2mm clearance for glue.

@MichaelPascoe, do you have any tips for an easy way to mate the back and left side aprons and stretchers in my example? I struggle with the best way of doing this also. This is a perfect example: Parts are not mirrored, but rather the same part is used on the left and right side. But no reference features exist to mate it since the part studio was basically modeled "quarter".
  • Options
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/6293e98a4c39067993dddfa4/v/4aaab36f51a98f589b2133b9/e/308918b96d1abc0428f4b2e0?renderMode=0&uiState=64420b7de0ee702649834481

Here I took your original design, and added a sketch to the underside of the top in the part studio. Then, inserted that sketch and all the parts into a new assembly studio. Grouped the top and sketch together (before moving them!). Then, mated the top to the origin. Then, mated the corners of the 4 legs to the corners of the sketch. Then, mated the aprons/stretches to the legs. This is probably a better way to approach this assembly, considering you drew the parts in random places. That sketch will insure the leg structure is centered within the top.

Unfortunately, this will break down if you add rounds or chamfers to the legs. But for what you have now with square edges, it will work fine.