Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How to make parts rotate together in Assembly?

TimmyTimmy Member Posts: 6 PRO
Hi! I'm new to animating in Onshape. It's probably a silly oversight but I'm trying to make an arm rotate, which works, but the 3 plates that are attached to it should move with it. I've tried putting them in a folder together and grouping them, then add the revolute, but the plates stay in place. How do I make them rotate together?

PS. Sorry for the large image size, apparently images can't be resized here.

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,717 PRO
    edited February 2023 Answer ✓

To animate, right click the Revolute mate in the panel on the left then select Animate.

In the picture, you are editing the mate not animating, this will only give you an animation preview of the first connected part.

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • Options
    Matt_ShieldsMatt_Shields Member Posts: 213 PRO
    Mates in Onshape define the mechanical relationships between parts.  If you want those three plates to remain fixed relative to the rotating arm, add a Fastened mate between one of the plates and the arm.  If the three plates are grouped, all three should then rotate with the arm.
  • Options
    TimmyTimmy Member Posts: 6 PRO

To animate, right click the Revolute mate in the panel on the left then select Animate.

In the picture, you are editing the mate not animating, this will only give you an animation preview of the first connected part.

Ah, of course. I knew it had to be something silly. I figured the 'Play' button in the Revolute options were supposed to be a live preview of the end result. Thank you for explaining. It indeed works with 'Animate...'.
  • Options
    MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,717 PRO

Sure thing.  B)

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎