Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Design for "soft"ware

ben_partouchben_partouch Member Posts: 95 PRO
Hello,

Anyone with experience/tips to share about using Onshape to design for "soft" or fabric materials? Backpack, cases, wallets etc.
Specifically- Appearance (Not perfectly straight line and surfaces), zippers, elastic motion (open and closed position of a case when there are no hinges involved)

Thank you

Comments

• Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,066 PRO
    Onshape really isn't made for this, but you can do some things to bend it to your will. Is your goal actual design for production, or just product visuals?
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • Options
    ben_partouchben_partouch Member Posts: 95 PRO
    I'd say at least at this point, product visuals. I need enough detail to show design intent that my client can take to manufacturers. Those could convert it to their means of fabrication. I hope that makes sense? 
  • Options
    lance_leasurelance_leasure Member Posts: 10
    I've been trying to answer the same question. I'm wondering whether treating the item like a piece of sheet metal might not work. I'm going to give it a try. 
  • Options
    One way I've handled this on a product that had fabric living hinges was to use configurations to show various positions. I split the rigid elements apart, moved them to a new position, and lofted the joint to reconnect them.

• Options
    wout_theelen541wout_theelen541 Member, csevp Posts: 198 PRO
    I've been trying to answer the same question. I'm wondering whether treating the item like a piece of sheet metal might not work. I'm going to give it a try. 
    I've used this idea. I find I can do most things with sheet metal tools and then if there is something extra you need I finish the sheet metal part and use other tools. I don't make anything as complicated as a backpack though.
  • Options
    adam_richardsonadam_richardson Member Posts: 34 ✭✭
    Sub division surfacing is better suited for mimicking fabrics - I'm sure it's sort of doable with Onshape, but not particularly easy. What are you using for the rendering? Ease of getting it in to the rendering packaging and making things like UV maps for texture and bump maps could also be a factor (if you're going to that level of visualization)
  • Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,366 PRO
    If you really need to design soft goods in 3D with rendered views, and output the flat patterns, Clo3D looks pretty amazing. It's mainly designed for fashion, but can be used for soft goods as well.

Here's a whole (long) tutorial on making a bag:
  • Options
    @adam_richardson Agreed. Things like Marvelous Designer and CLO 3D are the right tools for this.