Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Hole tool not working

john_knoxjohn_knox Member Posts: 4 EDU
I am sure this is a me problem but I am not seeing it.  I went into the help and watched the video but it didn't help.  I have a simple rectangular block.  I sketched the rectangle and then the construction lines for hole placement, and then extruded the block.  I select the intersection of the perpendicular lines where I want the hole (the intersection shows when selected with a "1") to go and then select the hole tool and the intersection is no longer selected.  There also seems to be no way to select the face or intersection after the hole tool has been selected.  What am I missing?
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    PeteYodisPeteYodis Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 519
    @john_knox The hole tool either accepts sketch points or mate connectors as input locations for holes.  
  • Options
    john_knoxjohn_knox Member Posts: 4 EDU
    What defines a "sketch point"?  I can use the intersection of 2 construction lines for circle features but not holes.  The way I solved this was to create a line and then put the holeson the end points of the line.  This seems really weird and not intuitive.  I only did this because I needed the hole callout in the drawing for a countersink and threaded hole.  
  • Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,359 PRO
    edited March 2023
    I'm probably missing some detail, but off the top of my head...

A "sketch point" can be any of the following:
    1. Ends of lines, arcs, conics or splines
    2. Mid-points of lines, arcs, conics or splines
    3. Centers of arcs or circles
    4. Virtual sharp of a conic
    5. An actual sketch point (the little hollow dot)
    A circle within sketcher will infer the intersection of two lines (with a pair of coincident constraints), but outside of sketcher I don't think there's any feature which would do the same, without the addition of one of the above.

You can't use text corners, or the control points of splines.