Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

is it possible to import / modify .obj files, or other purely 3D-model formats that are't CAD? =8^O)

ann_monnann_monn Member Posts: 11
i am a CAD noob.  

i sculpted by hand (rasps, dust, garage, tendonitis) and derived a digital model of the sculpt via photogrammetry.  the model is all cleaned up and in .obj format.  i need to cut an array of holes in its surface so it becomes a coarse mesh; i need to 3D print the result, so the mesh has to be 45º so its printable.  my first real day using Onshape and i actually figured it out, i got everything working on a test-object.  I'm stoked, full of coffee, ready to forge ahead working on the .obj file now, and i am just totally encased in horror because .obj file will not show up on import

it appears to upload, it takes up dataspace, but theres nothing there when the upload is complete.  no indication of 3space, just blank white oblivion.  

Answers

• Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Onshape can act as a container for files relating to a project, which is why you were able to import the file. 

However, being a CAD package, I'm sorry to have to tell you that having imported a file, Onshape can only translate it (in order to be usable within Onshape) it if it originated as a CAD file, from a subset of CAD systems as listed at top right on this page, after clicking on the triangle to the left of "Part Studios"

https://cad.onshape.com/help/#translation.htm 

You may be able to translate your .obj file into one of those formats using a free online translation service.
    Choose Parasolid or STEP for best results, if possible.

HTH
  • Options
    ben_masefieldben_masefield Member, Developers Posts: 8
    This is in the works and currently in a Beta stage (external App, Windows only, handles OBJ, STL and a few others). If you are open to participate in a Beta test, see this post: https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/1953/have-you-ever-wanted-to-read-a-stl-file-into-onshape#latest
  • Options
    hi -- I'm on a Mac, not eligible.  but thanks for thinking of it
  • Options
    ben_masefieldben_masefield Member, Developers Posts: 8
    you may be able to use Parallels or some other virtual environment to get around the restriction (of having a Mac)... but no, Mac isn't supported (and won't be for the foreseeable future... porting to a different OS is unfortunately not a simple task).
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    i understand.  thanks!

also, for anybody else new to CAD who might be in a similar situation, there is no automated conversion of a polygonal model to a parametric one.  it sounds like you can dice around with formats and possibly import your polygonal object as a reference, but you'd have to recreate it parametrically (using CAD tools only) in order to modify it in Onshape.