Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Feature Request: Defeature Tool - like Solidworks has

Cedar_FCedar_F Member Posts: 4 PRO
We need a tool to automatically defeature parts and assemblies. This is useful for: making parts and assemblies more lightweight, defeaturing sensitive design features before sharing, and overall simplifying non-essential geometry.

Currently, I'm importing lots of complex off-the-shelf assemblies, and I have to use Solidworks to defeature them before import, removing internal geometry and non-essential features. I'd much rather do this in Onshape so I can maintain the history of the part. 

Bonus ask: featured/defeature added in configurations.

Comments

• Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,514 PRO
    Side note, using the feature above, the workflow I have used is to insert the simplified part back in the assembly and then create configurations of the assembly to have either simplified or "full detail".
    The one thing to be aware when doing this to define some mate connectors that are persistent between the two configurations and make sure to mate to these when using the assembly/part so that you can switch between detail levels without breaking any references.
  • Options
    Cedar_FCedar_F Member Posts: 4 PRO
    awesome! I'll give this a try and see if it accomplishes what I'm looking for, thanks!
  • Options
    glen_dewsburyglen_dewsbury Member Posts: 582 ✭✭✭
    Hey @Cedar_F. Have you tried publications for sharing? A publication can be shared with only the top-level assembly showing. The assembly instances will show but the person you're sharing with cannot drill down through the subassemblies or part details unless they are included in the publication.
    I've been making new ones based on dates that lets customer see a trail as well when lots of back and forth during design.