Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Wrapping extrude around chamfer

onshaperonshaper Member, Mentor Posts: 94 ✭✭✭
What's the recommended method for wrapping these witness lines around the chamfer? I added the chamfer to bring the witness lines of this rule closer to the work surface. The witness lines extend beyond the edge of the ruler when projected down onto it.

Comments

• Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,359 PRO
    It depends on what you're trying to do. You can project a sketch to create curves, or split the surfaces, but when you do that the left end of the graduation lines will turn into ellipses. If it were me doing this, I would project the graphic onto the flat face, and then I would make another sketch normal to the chamfer for the parts of the lines which wrap around. If you had much more complex surfaces or graphics, there are more complex tools to wrap things, but in this case the surfaces and the graphics are so simple that just creating a second sketch is not that hard.

Are you planning to have the graphics printed on (pad print or silkscreen) or paint filled recesses, or just extrude/cut them in? Depending on what you're doing and who you have to communicate that to, it could be different, but generally, I would think you want to extrude/cut the graphics in even a small amount to bake them into the 3D. I do that even if they will be pad printed and there's a separate 2D artwork file.

(I would also right justify the numbers so that the digits line up correctly)