Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

extrude a lathe profile

steve_sathresteve_sathre Member Posts: 4
Hello,

I'm not sure how to ask this as I'm unsure of the terminology to use. I'm trying to fix an eye sore the previous owner left for us and Id like to 3d print a resolution to this. Id like to mimic this profile and have it wrap around the corner 180 degrees so we don't have to look at the unfinished edge. If I was working with wood I would use this picture to make a profile and then lathe it out of a dowel then cut it in half, but i could never turn anything this small. Does onshape have the ability to extrude a sketch around a pivot point?  

Best Answers

• Options
    dirk_van_der_vaartdirk_van_der_vaart Member Posts: 541 ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Try move Face and then select Rotate and select the line of the axle you need
  • Options
    robert_scott_jr_robert_scott_jr_ Member Posts: 319 ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hello Steve. I see you are new to Onshape, welcome. As a homeowner, hobbyist woodworker and 3D printer I constantly use Onshape to create projects, needed parts, templates, etc. It's a very valuable tool to me.
    Below is a link to a document in which I use three 'features' to create a part that mimics the moulding in the image you posted.
    I first used 'Revolve' to swing the sketch face around and then two 'Extrude's to extend the two flat faces of the revolve.
    Hope it helps. Have fun. - Scotty

Answers

• Options
    dirk_van_der_vaartdirk_van_der_vaart Member Posts: 541 ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Try move Face and then select Rotate and select the line of the axle you need
  • Options
    robert_scott_jr_robert_scott_jr_ Member Posts: 319 ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hello Steve. I see you are new to Onshape, welcome. As a homeowner, hobbyist woodworker and 3D printer I constantly use Onshape to create projects, needed parts, templates, etc. It's a very valuable tool to me.
    Below is a link to a document in which I use three 'features' to create a part that mimics the moulding in the image you posted.
    I first used 'Revolve' to swing the sketch face around and then two 'Extrude's to extend the two flat faces of the revolve.
    Hope it helps. Have fun. - Scotty
  • Options
    steve_sathresteve_sathre Member Posts: 4
    Scotty / Dirk,

thanks for the help, I appreciate the insight! I am new to CAD and 3D printing but I have managed to design a few practical solutions for little things like this that have been annoying me for years. 

Scotty, thanks for working up that example. I’m a visual learner so that really helps!

Steve