Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Export as DXF - No Flanges?

When I click the face of the sheet metal model + export as a DXF, it only exports one face, without the flange. Can anyone tell me why this is happening or how to fix it? Did I click off finish sheet metal model too early?

Comments

• Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,504 PRO
    edited March 2023
    The "right click" export to dxf, only exports the selected face by design. You will need to start the export from the flat view to get the whole thing:

EDIT: it doesn't look like your model is public so I can't see what you are trying to do. Also regarding you second part, I don't see any reason why you would need to "finish" your sheet metal at all.

You only need to do this if you need to add features that aren't supported in an active sheet metal part (like dimples, louvers, etc...)
  • Options
    elizabeth_wolfe828elizabeth_wolfe828 Member Posts: 9
    Thanks so much, I'll give that a shot now! I'll also make the design public, didn't realize you couldn't see it.
  • Options
    Hm so I clicked the sheet metal flyout, and nothing shows up in the flat preview

• Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,361 PRO
    It seems like the flat pattern shows in the side pane if you're not in the context of the assembly.
  • Options
    Looks like you have somewhat sorted it out...
    My recommendation would be to add as much of the features as possible before the "finish sheet metal" feature (i.e. everything you want to show up in the flat pattern).
    This should include all the "cutouts" and then only add some chamfers/drafts as late as possible.

Note that you could simplify the feature tree quite a bit by extruding in both directions for extrude 2 and 7, as well as using a "move face" feature to add clearance instead of several "extrudes"

Something like this: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/c0225e34622840e730a2c761/w/c68eb8ce2dfeebfea4d98024/e/ce0ba65c533fea3360fe0044

Note that all the feature are now in the flat so you won't have full contact of the faces in the cutouts (which may or may not be acceptable depending on the design intent/assembly method).

As a side note, from a design perspective, it looks like you would need a lot of machining anyway to create all these "non flat" features so I am not convinced the one bend adds a lot of value to your overall design compared to using a separate bracket, not to mention it will be quite hard to fabricate.
  • Options
    That did it!
    Now to research why the holes aren't showing up, lol. I know that's an existing question somewhere though!
  • Options

Looks like you have somewhat sorted it out...
    My recommendation would be to add as much of the features as possible before the "finish sheet metal" feature (i.e. everything you want to show up in the flat pattern).
    This should include all the "cutouts" and then only add some chamfers/drafts as late as possible.

Note that you could simplify the feature tree quite a bit by extruding in both directions for extrude 2 and 7, as well as using a "move face" feature to add clearance instead of several "extrudes"

Something like this: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/c0225e34622840e730a2c761/w/c68eb8ce2dfeebfea4d98024/e/ce0ba65c533fea3360fe0044

Note that all the feature are now in the flat so you won't have full contact of the faces in the cutouts (which may or may not be acceptable depending on the design intent/assembly method).

As a side note, from a design perspective, it looks like you would need a lot of machining anyway to create all these "non flat" features so I am not convinced the one bend adds a lot of value to your overall design compared to using a separate bracket, not to mention it will be quite hard to fabricate.
    Thank you so much for the feedback/input! The main reason we went with the screw on lid is because the rest will be welded shut. It's the last step in the process so we wouldn't have much luck with bracket installation

I really appreciate your explanation/edits!!
  • Options
    Glad that helped!
    The screwed on lid makes sense, what I meant to say was that the bent flange could have been a separate part fastened to the plate somehow. But since you are welding already, I would consider making it a welded tab instead as it would likely make the whole thing easier to build.
    If these tabs were welded last you could leave a bit of slop so that they can be fixtured in the exact right spot so all the holes line up. Maybe even have them mounted to the lid part when you weld them in place to ensure a perfect fit!