Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Parts motion simulation

ricardo_raimondoricardo_raimondo Member Posts: 32
I am trying to verify the movement of a door, using a multiple-link hinge. I have Part1<1> and Par4<1> set as fixed. At this point, Part<5> moves following the restrictions of the hinge. Now, I need to "glue" Part5<1> to Part1<2>, to complete the simulation. I tried 3 planar mate between the parts, also fastened mate, but in any case, after doing the mate nothing moves. I guess I am missing some mate that will allow me to join Part5<1> and Part1<2> and simulate how the door opens. For further information here is the link to the document: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/adf5a9d499789107bac5e6f5/w/d675540f1b71b6e462ba6b84/e/d941e3da5bee6dc651ad29fd?renderMode=0&uiState=641b1e68c6abb63df4b2d3f8
I will appreciate any ideas on how to achieve this.

Comments

• Options
    Matt_ShieldsMatt_Shields Member Posts: 209 PRO
    • You only need one mate (Fastened, Revolute, etc.) to define the relationship between any two parts.  In this case, just one Fastened mate between Part 1<2> and Part 5<1> will do it.  No need for planar mates unless you want the parts to slide relative to one another (2 degrees of freedm).
    • I would recommend only fixing one part.  Unfix Part 4<1>.  Leave Part 1<1> fixed.  Add a Fastened mate between Part 1<1> and Part 4<1>.  Use the Offset option to get the parts into the right orientation.
    • Rename your parts something descriptive.
  • Options
    ricardo_raimondoricardo_raimondo Member Posts: 32
    • You only need one mate (Fastened, Revolute, etc.) to define the relationship between any two parts.  In this case, just one Fastened mate between Part 1<2> and Part 5<1> will do it.  No need for planar mates unless you want the parts to slide relative to one another (2 degrees of freedm).
    • I would recommend only fixing one part.  Unfix Part 4<1>.  Leave Part 1<1> fixed.  Add a Fastened mate between Part 1<1> and Part 4<1>.  Use the Offset option to get the parts into the right orientation.
    • Rename your parts something descriptive.
    Thank you much, Matt. I'll try your suggestions.
  • Options
    Sinan_ArnautSinan_Arnaut Member Posts: 5
    You could have done some dynamic simulation using principia MBS directly within Onshape. This offers more of additional details, including time histories of positions, angles, forces, torques, and more. Plus, it seamlessly synchronizes with your Onshape assembly for added convenience and efficiency.