Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

building a complex sheet metal part in context....

2»

Answers

• racs_letteracs_lette Member Posts: 2 EDU
    My 3 cents:)

You are designing an airplane! That's about as complicated as it gets! (Ps, have you followed https://www.youtube.com/@DarkAeroInc ? Its a group of 3 bothers ME's designing an airplane in OS. Their content is super good).

With that in mind, training in OS will be way more worthwhile for someone like you, a retired engineer making an airplane, as compared to a beginning hobbyist that is making drink coasters on a 3D printer. You will end up using the full breath of the CAD system for an airplane design.

I'd full-stop completely what you are doing and spend 3 weeks just going through every single training tutorial. Don't bother with Youtube. Go right to the source in the OS training center. All the courses are excellent, and free. An airplane will encompass curves, surfacing, sheetmetal, top-down design, in-context editing, derive, multiple documents, versions, wiring, featurescripts, everything!

In OS, the phrase "in-context" has a very specific meaning. What you are calling "in-context" is actually "multi-body", or "multi-part" modeling. "In-Context" is actually something completely different. OS has 3 ways of doing top-down design. 1st is Multi-part (what you are doing), second is "derive", third is "in-context editing". All 3 will be super helpful to you on this project. There are training courses for all 3 in the training center.

Happy designing:)
    Thanks for the tips and advice! I'll definitely check out the OS training center and focus on going through all the tutorials before continuing with my airplane design. And thanks for clarifying the different ways of doing top-down design in OS. I appreciate your input!
  • don_bdon_b Member Posts: 106 ✭✭
    so moving along......

any way to insert....copy ....translate a sheet metal part without "finish sheet metal part"?

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/8d396162fc10ced7c779b85a/w/81acc633ec79291aac81fb52/e/ae44908cc009403f37f3208a
    or the same question for a sketch ripe for extrude as a sheet metal part.....feature scrip might work but I was not able to follow the steps to make one
    copy and paste a sketch from the same document into proper plane orientation should work...if that is the only why ....so be it.   

would be nice to have mate connectors work with sketches or translate work with sheet metal .....