Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Creating a 'layered DXF' file.

Hello,

Pushing my luck perhaps but after getting such a helpful response to the first question I asked on this forum about removing fillets I thought I'd try again with a trickier one.
I've completed my design and have been talking to several CNC shops here in the UK about potentially cutting out the parts.

Two of them have asked for a DXF file showing the different layers of cutting.  I understand what this is but can't see how to produce this in Onshape.  I've managed to get DXF files from drawings but not such that it shows different depth layers in different colours and secondly not so it gets all the parts on one sheet (the second problem is perhaps my issue of scaling correctly). 

Any thoughts on the best way for me to get a DXF file which shows the layers greatly appreciated.

Answers

• Options
    michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 676 ✭✭✭✭
    Right click on the face of the part that comprises the profile you want machined and select "Export as DXF/DWG" from the popup menu.
  • Options
    nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 663 PRO
    Download QCad. Its freeware and will allow you to manipulate the dxf layers. I used this for some parts I sent to laser cutting vendors.

For CNC, I've very surprised a shop would want a dxf as opposed to step file. Is your design completely 2d such as a wooden store sign?
  • Options
    robert_newlandrobert_newland Member Posts: 6

For CNC, I've very surprised a shop would want a dxf as opposed to step file.  Is your design completely 2d ?

No. It's very much a 3d object!  I'd love to be able to just give them the STEP file and they'd do the rest but that seems not to be the case.  Leaving me having to try and do the DXF conversion mentioned above. 

I'll try QCAD...