Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Using Featurescript generated sketch as profile in loft

fstfst Member Posts: 44 ✭✭
Hi! I have created a new FeatureScript that draws a parametric sketch (so I can make patterns that depend on parameters - something that is currently not possible with the sketcher).
This worked well so far, I can use two instances of the new feature to create one sketch on parallel construction planes each.
Now I want to loft the sketches. My first intuitive attemps was to click on "profile" in the loft and then on the two custom features. But apparently I cannot select the two features, even though they generate (just) a sketch each, they don't seem to count as sketch/profile. And I cannot type sketch names either (the name of the sketch that is created by the featurescript is just id + "_sketch", so it would be easy to derive).
Can I somehow declare that a custom featurescript returns (and thus should be treated like) a sketch?

Alternatively I could create the entire body with several such sketches and lofts in between inside one featurescript - but being able to do the lofting in the UI might be nicer as it keeps the Featurescript part to a minimum - is this possible?

Comments

• Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,515 PRO
    Can you not just pick the sketch region (or edges if doing a surface) in the graphics area?
    or are you not seeing the sketches generated by your FS?
  • Options
    fstfst Member Posts: 44 ✭✭
    Thank you @eric_pesty that works! Was always clicking on the node in the construction history tree - which apparently is only possible for usual sketches (in hindsight probably because one featurescript can create various stuff).
  • Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,515 PRO
    Glad that helped, note that selecting the sketch from the tree only allows you to select the entire region (which can be a good shortcut) while selecting in the graphics area allow selecting only certain areas of the sketch so you have much greater control!