Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Onshape organizing concepts

Dear Onshape experts
I am new to Onshape, I am struggling to understand such notions as document, folder, sketch, assembly... I have watched several tutorials, and still do not understand how to go about things.
My project is not about designing a 3D object. I want to design several plates of different shapes for various uses inside my home (basically covers for wooden pieces of furniture). These 2D shapes are independent  from each other. I would like to create folders Room1, Room2, ... and inside each folder have the shapes of the plates which will go into that room. How do I do that ?
After watching the tutorials, I thought I would create a document for the whole set of plates, then inside it create my Room folders, then inside each folder create a sketch for each plate belonging to that room... but I do not manage to have this work.
If someone can help me out I will be very grateful
Jean-Marie

Best Answers

• Options
    robert_scott_jr_robert_scott_jr_ Member Posts: 319 ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hello Jean Marie. The folders can be created at any time. The work is done in a part studio or assembly not in a folder. When part studios, assemblies, drawings, etc. are created the tabs of those document elements can be 'grabbed' with the left mouse button and slid over into the folders. - Scotty
  • Options
    nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 668 PRO
    Answer ✓
    A "document" is one internet browser window. Everything inside that window is "one document". Within that "document", you have tabs at the bottom. Those tabs can be "part studios", "assembly studios", "drawings", and a few other less common. "part studios" are used to design individual parts. Within the "part studios" are the individual features used to design the parts. "Sketch" is one of those features that is usually the foundation of a part design.

After you make your individual parts in part studios, you assemble them in an assembly studio. You can make 1 part per part studio, or you can make 100 parts per part studio. It depends on your design and modelling strategy. In an assembly, you can place parts that were created from any part studio.

So on one extreme, you could actually do everything you want within one "document". Have a separate "part studio" for each room in your house, where you would design the plates.

Or, you could have one "document" per room of your house.

I don't see a need for multiple folders in your case. They would be for higher level organization. Maybe make one folder and call it "plates". Then put however many plates "documents" within it.

Also of note you can move things around very easily, even after your design is finished. So don't let this stop you from modelling.

Answers

• Options
    robert_scott_jr_robert_scott_jr_ Member Posts: 319 ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hello Jean Marie. The folders can be created at any time. The work is done in a part studio or assembly not in a folder. When part studios, assemblies, drawings, etc. are created the tabs of those document elements can be 'grabbed' with the left mouse button and slid over into the folders. - Scotty
  • Options
    nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 668 PRO
    Answer ✓
    A "document" is one internet browser window. Everything inside that window is "one document". Within that "document", you have tabs at the bottom. Those tabs can be "part studios", "assembly studios", "drawings", and a few other less common. "part studios" are used to design individual parts. Within the "part studios" are the individual features used to design the parts. "Sketch" is one of those features that is usually the foundation of a part design.

After you make your individual parts in part studios, you assemble them in an assembly studio. You can make 1 part per part studio, or you can make 100 parts per part studio. It depends on your design and modelling strategy. In an assembly, you can place parts that were created from any part studio.

So on one extreme, you could actually do everything you want within one "document". Have a separate "part studio" for each room in your house, where you would design the plates.

Or, you could have one "document" per room of your house.

I don't see a need for multiple folders in your case. They would be for higher level organization. Maybe make one folder and call it "plates". Then put however many plates "documents" within it.

Also of note you can move things around very easily, even after your design is finished. So don't let this stop you from modelling.
  • Options
    jean_marie_almerasjean_marie_almeras Member Posts: 10
    Thank you Scotty & Nick, your explanations were very helpful. I made my project within one single document, with many part studios, I did not need folders. Thanks a lot ! Blessings
  • Options
    jean_marie_almerasjean_marie_almeras Member Posts: 10
    Thank you Scotty & Nick, your explanations were very helpful. I made my project within one single document, with many part studios, I did not need folders. Thank you