Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Organizing imported common hardware so they don't cause auto-updates on subassy's product wide

nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 664 PRO
Hello, I've been having issues with my documents auto-updating, something 20 times in a row, due to updates being pushed downward from a higher level assy. This has been going on for 2 years on my dayjob stuff. Personal tiny projects I have not had similar issues. I think I traced it to a hardware document. I had one big document the past year that I used for all McMaster imports. Thread forming screws, locknuts, threaded inserts, etc, that are not built into the OS library. This means that a large number of my subassemblies had some fastener that was in this single document, leading to auto-updates. I also (still) have a large document for electronic COTS items, such as power supplies, connectors, etc. I'm noticing the same issues stemming from that document.

I have since split up the big hardware document that had maybe 200 parts into about 10 smaller documents. The issue is much improved, yet I'm still facing it.

I think I came up with a few approaches to solve completely. What are you all doing? Any other suggestions?

1) Move each individual imported part into its "own" document. Downside is its kind of nice knowing all of the locknuts, for example, are in the locknuts document, when its time to insert them into an assy.
2) Put the fasteners under revision control, and insert only released fasteners into assemblies. Right now I have "not revision managed" checked every time I import a fastener. This would be a "dummy" rev, as there would not be any drawings for these fasteners.
3) When I insert a fastener into an assembly from one of these McMaster import documents, "pin" it immediately. This would do a similar thing as #2.

What do you all like? Or something else that is better? Pictures below that help explain.

This is an example. All these auto-updates were from a higher level assy. This happens on a lot of my subs.

This is what my "common hardware not built into OS" folder looks like. Each document has these family of parts in it. The taptite at the bottom, for example, has the entire range, maybe 50 screws in it.

Thanks.