Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Standard Content Rivet

don_bdon_b Member Posts: 106 ✭✭
Looking to insert a rivet into a multi part studio to check clearance.....I see references to "Standard Content"....but can not seem to find it.......I searched "learning center" and "Standard Content".....I expect it is a derived part....much of the public content is in assemblies.....Is it part of the Onshape data ...is it outside source (McMaster Carr) or public documents?

Best Answers

• glen_dewsburyglen_dewsbury Member Posts: 559 ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Standard content is in the assembly. If you work in context from assembly to part studio, then you will see it shaded.
  • nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 659 PRO
    Answer ✓
    Standard content is here. Rivets are not included in it. You'll have to get them from McMaster as a STEP and import into OS, or, hand draw them.

Answers

• glen_dewsburyglen_dewsbury Member Posts: 559 ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Standard content is in the assembly. If you work in context from assembly to part studio, then you will see it shaded.
  • don_bdon_b Member Posts: 106 ✭✭
    Thank you
    Answer ✓
    Standard content is here. Rivets are not included in it. You'll have to get them from McMaster as a STEP and import into OS, or, hand draw them.

Thank you I was able to do that.....hard part for me was the perhaps too many steps to get it into the part studio.....probably ignorance on my part....is it possible to import right into the proper part studio tab? 
    You generally would not put off-the-shelf hardware in a part studio. It would go in the assembly. Have you created an assembly yet? If not, that's the next step. Part studios are for creating new design parts. Assemblies are for putting them together, along with common hardware, and parts made in other part studios. (sometimes the part studio and the assembly may visually look almost identical for small and simple designs, but there is a lot of different functionality between the two).

Once in the assembly, you can take a cross section of the rivet (or hole the rivet goes in). Then you can see the clearance between the parts and the rivet. If it needs adjustment, you'd go back to the part studio of the parts and adjust the hole diameter there. Or, get a smaller diameter rivet and insert it into the assembly instead.

There is also interference detection in assembly that is super helpful.

Happy modelling.

This is the course to take if you are not familiar with assemblies. Actually all of these are excellent if you are new to OS. I did about 20 of the courses the first 3 weeks I switched ot OS at my dayjob, and it has helped immensely. They are all free and really well put together with several video lesson then several exercises.

You generally would not put off-the-shelf hardware in a part studio. It would go in the assembly. Have you created an assembly yet? 

I have not.....yes new to OS  but almost 50 years design experience.... Autocad since version 9..... I design  "Top Down"....constantly changing geometry  based on geometry of the mating parts.  Here is link to one version back....rivet is in the next version which I am making major changes to.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/cab6ce044c81060c5173b79d/w/da9460f34228fb58a4d54c00/e/740c4c89b534f413972dab55
    Check this out. I made an assy. Top level, and 2 subs. In the second sub I assembled a bunch of SHCS (instead of rivets so I didn't have to find the right rivet). Note also you have a built in BOM with qty of each part. You can use this to make sure you order the right materials, etc. The part studio is for designing the parts (and perfectly fine to have them all together and in the right place like you do). The assembly is for putting it all together. ps, this all took me about 5 minutes to do while waiting for my airplane to board. You would do this for each major sub of the airplane. Then you'd have a top level airplane assy where you'd put each sub inside.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/7f0125bda4a083823df3fa81/w/2e76673e2fd8a34cb75d0a8f/e/e217cd7272d0879a9cd3e2b1?bomType=structured&renderMode=0&rightPanel=BOMPanel&uiState=64331fd6de754903868888a1

I will check it out.....thank you .....
    it helped.....