Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Loft between two sketches with identical number of points fails

fstfst Member Posts: 44 ✭✭
I have created two sketches on parallel construction planes. Both sketches were created with the same feature script function and have identical number of points - just the distances between these points is differently parameterized.
I now want to create a loft between these two sketches. Initially I thought this should be easy for the lofting algorithm (associating one point from the one sketch to the corresponding point in the other sketch), but apparently the heuristic works differently than anticipated and it fails to compute meaningful guiding rails (or to even loft anything at all). Particularly as the two sketches are parametric I would prefer not to manually fix all the guiding rails (as this would break as soon as I change the parameters of the sketches). Is there a way to successfully loft the two sketches? (I also have a programmatic "opLoft" call attempt inside the Featurescript - there I just get "INVALID LOFT", so I have commented it out and tried to make the loft manually for now - which also didn't work). Any ideas?

Here my example in Onshape: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/5ea9f7c73950b1b31a35cd0b/w/5a103984d7642b913ea7650d/e/63e92a25a51b5ab7d32910d6?renderMode=0&uiState=643525a4441f320a398c798b

Comments

• Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,390 PRO
    They don't have the same number of points. The interior shapes have vertical lines on the front sketch and those lines are missing on the rear sketch. 

If you're careful with connections, you can add them and get this:
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/91d6541753a3e6e0e2d8099e/w/8a8c8a2bc97528899bf5ac95/e/ac55171c0990652411d05d8a

• Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,536 PRO
    You have different number of segments between the profiles (no vertical segments in each of the "indentations". You should be able to get it to succeed using "match connections" but it might struggle getting the corners to look "right".
    I would consider splitting the edge of each "internal corner" in the front section.
  • Options
    fstfst Member Posts: 44 ✭✭
    Thank you @S1mon and @eric_pesty! Apparently Onshape merges points of a line with length 0 to just one point.
    I changed the definition of the first sketch and added a very small offset, so Onshape doesn't remove the points. Now the number of points is identical for both sketches and Onshape is able to compute a result that looks exactly like the screenshot from S1mon: