Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Fill command not working to form a solid

Hi all,
I am using the fill command to make a solid from three surfaces. I am not sure if the protrusion in the center is causing error but i need to merge the surfaces to form a solid. Any help or suggestion would be appreciated. 

Answers

• eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,461 PRO
    That thing sticking out in the middle is definitely an issue... What would you expect a solid to look like around this protrusion where it's "inside out"?

What you could do is make a solid without that protrusion and remove the material after the fact.
  • S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,320 PRO
    It looks like you're likely asking for something which is topologically not possible. The part in the center is almost definitely causing it to fail. If you're trying to create a solid so you can shell it (e.g. to make a cast or injection molded part), you're probably better off thickening the surface and then replacing the edge with a flat surface.
  • Kartik_SuryavanshiKartik_Suryavanshi Member Posts: 6 PRO
    Thank you @eric_pesty, I resolved the issue by removing the thing protruding in the middle. This part is actually a mold and the surface on the other side is supposed to act like a female mold. 
    Thank you for the suggestion @S1mon. I got it working :)
  • Kartik_SuryavanshiKartik_Suryavanshi Member Posts: 6 PRO
    Thank you @eric_pesty, I resolved the issue by removing the thing protruding in the middle. This part is actually a mold and the surface on the other side is supposed to act like a female mold. 
    Thank you for the suggestion @S1mon. I got it wokring :)