Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Dimension a spline lenght in a sketch?

martin_kopplowmartin_kopplow Member Posts: 261 ✭✭✭
I am currently taking Catia curses (wasn't actually my idea ...) and while I am at it, I try to do all excercises from the course again, but in Onshape, just to see how they compare. I went quite well and got as far as this one:

Task at hand is to design a simple bicycle saddle shape. One point for a profile curve is given as the curve length along the center guide spline (Pic 1). I know I can dimension an arc in an Onshape sketch (Pic 2), but even though the manual says "arc length / curve length", and I managed to create a linked copy of the spline and trimmed it, to get a point I can interactively move along the center guide spline, thereby changing the remaining spline curve lenght just nicely, I can't seem to dimension it as a curve lenght, only as a chord lenght (Pic 3). There are some more points like this in this excercise.

Did I miss somethimg here, or is it just not possible?

The latter would be a pity indeed, especially since Onshape can obviously display the curve lenght in the lower right corner of the screen (Pic 4).

If it is possible, I'd appreciate a hint.
If it is not possible yet, I'd like to request this as a feature of the dimension tool, please: "Enable driving dimension for curve lenght in sketches."

Best,
Martin

Comments

• S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,321 PRO
    You can dimension arc length, but not spline length. 

There's a general path length improvement request, but nothing specifically about splines (although they should be covered by this):
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/9259/path-length-dimension
  • Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    Actually you can also dimension sketch splines, just not paths made of many edges yet, which would rock. Just click the spline with the dimension tool.

Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,321 PRO
    Ugh. I thought that had been added at some point, but somehow searching didn't get me a good answer.