Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Furniture plans: Creating parts without merging?

PieceyPiecey Member Posts: 6
I'm trying to create a model of a furniture piece and using Onshape to keep track of a parts/cut list.

When I go to extrude a part which shares a face with another part, there is no option to NOT merge the two. How do I avoid this issue?
Perhaps its because I'm using it incorrectly but what would be the best approach to modeling this?

For example, I want to make a simple box with lid with 5 parts (4 sides and bottom) for the main box and another 5 for the lid.

Is it best to draw the completed shape then make the cut to separate the lid and box?
OR
Is it best practice to create each part individually then mate them in an assembly?
If the latter, how do I create drawings so each part stays separate, and I can calculate for example, dimensions of each piece for cost calculation?

Comments