Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Connecting tubes/round things

price_cobbprice_cobb Member Posts: 15
Huge noob here so please bear with me. Considering I didn't know how to spell CAD two weeks ago, I'm getting along well enough to satisfy myself. Admittedly my personal satisfaction level is low, but regardless, I'm happy but now need some help on this journey. I've looked around but I guess I'm not using the correct words to get an answer I can under stand.

The setup:  The picture below is of one small diameter tube and one larger diameter tube. As you can see the parts aren't exactly tubes but the principle would be the same.  Flat but of the smaller tube trying to become attached tot he larger tube.

As you can see below I've gotten them "together" but not sure how I did it to be honest and there must be a way that is dead simple?  And to add to it all, once they are together I'd like the larger part to allow flow into the other tube? Make sense?  These pictures are what I'm dealing with if it helps.

Looking inside the larger part below, you will notice that the smaller blue tube pokes through the larger purple part as you'd expect but not what I'm looking for. I'd like the blue part to fit itself to the curve of the purple part without any protrusions. 
Once the parts are together I need them to allow flow between them selves. Once mated, this can be all one part.  I made two parts since I didn't know how to create the part all at once. 

I do try to find answers before dragging others in, but since all is so new, the words I've used to date bring up all kinds of ways to mate things, but not this for example. Yes, I'm plenty ignorant of this CAD stuff but had to start somewhere. Regardless of my frustrations, I'm really enjoying it.  TY all in advance. PC

Best Answers

• Options
    kevin_wood958kevin_wood958 Member Posts: 9
    Answer ✓
    Welcome to a fellow noob designer. Assuming I'm understanding what you're end goal is, this should be a pretty easy solution. One, have you used the boolean feature at all? If not, it's what's needed to combine multiple parts into one. So, my thought to achieve this would be as follows.

1. Extrude the smaller tube up to the face of the larger tube
    2. Use the boolean feature to merge them into a single part (you can possibly skip this step if you elect to "merge with all" when extruding in Step 1)
    3. Extrude your desired hole size into the larger tube where the two tubes have mated
    I followed the above steps to produce the part below. Not identical to your part or as refined. But sounds like it's what you're trying to achieve.

• Options
    glen_dewsburyglen_dewsbury Member Posts: 582 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2023 Answer ✓
    @price_cobb
    A discreet boolean is not required. The second feature can be an extrude/add. Look at extrude2. The second end position is up to face which stops the stick through.
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/4ca0229f69e5013bbd25e104/w/0721279ba72bb0e922174b8e/e/d37fc40f2404d5b5fc75da9c

Answers

• Options
    Answer ✓
    Welcome to a fellow noob designer. Assuming I'm understanding what you're end goal is, this should be a pretty easy solution. One, have you used the boolean feature at all? If not, it's what's needed to combine multiple parts into one. So, my thought to achieve this would be as follows.

1. Extrude the smaller tube up to the face of the larger tube
    2. Use the boolean feature to merge them into a single part (you can possibly skip this step if you elect to "merge with all" when extruding in Step 1)
    3. Extrude your desired hole size into the larger tube where the two tubes have mated
    I followed the above steps to produce the part below. Not identical to your part or as refined. But sounds like it's what you're trying to achieve.

• Options
    glen_dewsburyglen_dewsbury Member Posts: 582 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2023 Answer ✓
    @price_cobb
    A discreet boolean is not required. The second feature can be an extrude/add. Look at extrude2. The second end position is up to face which stops the stick through.
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/4ca0229f69e5013bbd25e104/w/0721279ba72bb0e922174b8e/e/d37fc40f2404d5b5fc75da9c

• Options
    @price_cobb

This is correct. I tried to point that out in that the Step 2 could be unnecessary depending on how he elects to extrude the part. But since it seems to default to a distance and not merging (at least in my experience) I felt calling out the boolean was worthwhile. That, and if he doesn't know about what boolean does, it's a critical tool to understand.
  • Options
    kevin_wood958 , Many thanks. I do know of Boolean but frankly forgot about it! Meanwhile, I made the model again (without erasing the one I sent pictures of) but this time made a bunch of "solid" parts and even though I had them kind of together (got there by piercing the larger diameter with a Sweep even though it was a straight line/sweep) and had the smaller part perfectly centered by sectioning the larger part so the dead center I needed was obvious. Once all that was done I then, as you mention, went and "booleaned" the part 1 and part 2 making them one. I then used the hollow tool to hollow the larger part (with my desired wall thickness) followed by hollowing the smaller part with the same wall.  It came out 100% perfect.

However, there has to be a faster way even if it all becomes exponentially faster just by doing.
    Can't thank you enough for chiming in. Greatly appreciated!  Have a wonderful weekend. PC
  • Options
    Glen, I really appreciate your suggestions. I never knew you could do the extrude with the second position etc.. Way cool. 

I can't thank ya'll enough for jumping in and steering me down paths as it'd have taken me forever to learn some of this if ever. Too often folks like me get stuck with blinders on making it a much slower process. The words you don't know what you don't know plays out all too often.

I look forward to coming back to this well of knowledge as I move on down the road. Many thanks, PC