Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How to select a variable when adding a dimension while sketching on ios

JeHJeH Member Posts: 9
Hi, i’m a hobbyist 3D designer, mainly for 3D printing. I‘m new to onshape because I like the idea of being able to continue work on PC I started on iPad and vice versa. I‘m used to do parametric design because after printing a first draft, I usually realise I need to change stuff that does not fit as expected. 

Now I wondering there doesn‘t seem to be an easy way to select one of my previously created variables, when assigning dimensions while sketching. I can however tab on the keyboard symbol and manually write # and the name of a variable. 
But in a bigger design, with precise dimension variable names like Sled_Battery_PCB_Distance, remembering all the names and taking the time to write them over and over again, not even thinking about formulae referencing multiple variables to define a dimension, seems like a lot of overhead. 

Isn’t there a way to select available variables from a list when defining a dimension?

Best Answer

• Options
    ian_alexander202ian_alexander202 Member Posts: 3
    Answer ✓
    Variables don't work in the app, even if you have created them on a desktop. They only appear in the drop-down mentioned above when on a desktop or good laptop, I run Win10 on my laptop  and my desktop and things run very well, you will find several features that your used to on a desktop won't be available in the app, for instance, adding or editing drawing views doesn't exist, probably a memory thing, tablets don't have the grunt. I use the app for tinkering, but for the heavy lifting you need a desktop or laptop with plenty of RAM and a decent graphics card.

Answers

• Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,359 PRO
    edited April 2023
    When you start to type # it should give you a drop down list of all the existing variables.

[edit: doh - I missed that you're talking about on iPad. Sorry the above is true on desktop only.]
  • Options
    Thanks for the quick response!

And you are sure this is supposed to happen in the iPad app. I would like that to be true but what I get when adding a dimension or editing a dimension is first this view,

which only allows for use of the digit pad and after selecting the keyboard button, entering a # does not do anything further than type the # symbol:

Any idea?
  • Options
    ian_alexander202ian_alexander202 Member Posts: 3
    Answer ✓
    Variables don't work in the app, even if you have created them on a desktop. They only appear in the drop-down mentioned above when on a desktop or good laptop, I run Win10 on my laptop  and my desktop and things run very well, you will find several features that your used to on a desktop won't be available in the app, for instance, adding or editing drawing views doesn't exist, probably a memory thing, tablets don't have the grunt. I use the app for tinkering, but for the heavy lifting you need a desktop or laptop with plenty of RAM and a decent graphics card.
  • Options
    Ok, thanks, that’s unfortunate!

Still, I like the idea of being able to edit stuff on iPad. And I‘m used to do the main part of a design on desktop, so I will continue to evaluate onshape. Maybe they can make variable name suggestions happen at some point. E.g. via keyboard recommendations. 

Totally different use case but in Home Assistant Smart Home controller, I have first seen how a webpage can provide context sensitive selections as keyboard word recommendations, even with filtering by typing more letters. Super nice. I bet this can be implemented in the iPad app as well.
  • Options
    steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2023
    Variables don't work in the app … They only appear in the drop-down mentioned above when on a desktop
    Thought I’d add a little clarity or emphasis for any new to the mobile app out there

So the original post is about whether you can get the drop-down or pop-up menu for the variables to work on the mobile version.

And as Ian mentioned, it’s true, that the drop down or pop-up doesn’t work on my iPhone.

But aside from the menu, variables do work on the mobile version. It’s just that you have to type in the name of the variable as @JeH mentioned in the original post

So if there is a big need to input variables on the mobile version, you might want to keep the name short, if at all possible, and group them all together at the top of the feature tree, so you can easily and quickly see the various options you have for variable input

Also, there is a variable tool, where you can create a variable from scratch on the mobile version. And any variables that are made on the desktop, will be accessible to use on the mobile version also

• Options
    Yes, that’s a good conclusion. 
    Variables do work when typed fully. I have not used the desktop app much yet, so I cannot say how it works there. 

I tend to come up with 30-40 variables for a design and I did not bother yet to create a shortcut language, therefor they quickly have a length of 20 characters. Which is why I would really prefer an easier way of reuse. 
    Options would be:
    - drag and drop
    - tap a variable while having the input field open
    - keyboard word completion suggestions

Creating variables on-the-fly is not much help to me. I measure first, create all variables, then start the design. And then I reuse them often in correlation, like width is two times the hight and such.
  • Options
    steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭✭

I would think a pop-up menu could possibly be implemented on the mobile app. You could always post an improvement request here in the forum where people can vote it up.

But in the meantime, reading about how you work, where you do all your variables upfront, consider this.

Use something like the Notes app or Numbers app to print a two column list of variables where the first column is the variable shortcut and the second column the description

For example. 

gc = greater chord length

id = inside diameter

sbpd = Sled Battery PCB Distance

And of course realizing that you always have to enter the # at the start of the variable input

Anyways, you could print this list and either leave it on the desk or table near you, or tape it to the backside of your iPhone or iPad