Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Keeping Track of Files Shared with Vendors?

S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,321 PRO
In an ideal world, all of our partners would be on Onshape and we would be using Arena to manage PLM. Neither are true, and I'm trying to figure out the best way to understand what has been shared with which vendors. Even if a vendor had a light account to log in, it would take time digging through our analytics to see which files have been accessed when.

I get that we have nice revision management and things like publications on the Onshape side of things, but what tools are people using to track transfers to the outside world?

If you're not using a proper PLM system, are you creating and managing ECO (engineering change orders) using some other technique? How are you tying that to Onshape?

Comments

• adrian_vlzkzadrian_vlzkz Member Posts: 258 PRO
    This is one of the main reasons we are transitioning to Onshape, it's imposible to track, even if you have a list of Outgoing files, once they are out is out of your control. They will need to downloaded locally to even just to view, so if you send-out a part to more than one partner/vendor, will be very difficult to source a "leak".

I know there are tools that are IRM (Information Rights Management) software, but those seem to add a big burden to the operation of any team
    Adrian V. | Onshape Ambassador
    CAD Engineering Manager