Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Aligning a part to another and using it as a cutting tool

guillermo_lovatoguillermo_lovato Member Posts: 2
i'm racking my brain trying to solve this:
I've made two parts, each in it's own part studio, part 1 is the base part and part2 is a tool(a key in this case) and i've derived part 2 into P1 studio, so far so good.
Now the problem i have is that i can't find a reliable way to snap/align/constrain to a precise location the key to make the keyway in part1 and then expand the negative space for tolerance.

i've tried the transform to line but it always give a resolve error, or aligns it willy nilly(i've drawn a line on a sketch on the top surface, select the vertex of the part2 and then it moves the part so that the side of the vertical portion is flush with the line) and i also can't chose how to snap/constrain in all axes.

I need to align the tool 3mm up in Z(i've done that with transform), then align it in X/Y to the centerline of the part(right through the "right" plane position) and then move it a little bit outwards so that the "base" of the top triangle sits flush with the outer diameter of the part1.

¿do i have no other recourse than to use transform in X/Y/Z and enter the absolute measurements manually?

Comments

• Options
    David_YL_NguyenDavid_YL_Nguyen Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 90
    Hey guillermo_lovato,

It's a bit tricky to fully understand what you are trying to achieve, I think it would be best if you could share your model.

Sounds like what you want to do would be best done via in-context design. Here's a resource to understand how it works:
  • Options
    bryan_lagrangebryan_lagrange Member, User Group Leader Posts: 796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find using transform with mate connectors is an easy way to place derived parts.
    Bryan Lagrange
    Twitter: @BryanLAGdesign

• Options
    robert_scott_jr_robert_scott_jr_ Member Posts: 319 ✭✭✭
    'I find using transform with mate connectors is an easy way to place derived parts.'
    Ditto - Scotty