Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Dots on Spheres

matthew_tungmatthew_tung Member Posts: 2
Im trying to make write dots on the pirannah plant using wrap. Does anybody know how? I also have the same problem when trying to make mushrooms from mario. I can't make it with white dots on the sphere.

Comments

• Options
    Matt_ShieldsMatt_Shields Member Posts: 209 PRO
    One option is to extrude the circles as surfaces and then do a split face.  Then color the faces.

• Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,064 PRO
    Here's how I'd do it. https://cad.onshape.com/documents/6f0cb58cfd784d46dcfaf8ed/w/d88dfe80aeabdac020f88c84/e/913728b15d59747951cd2b95

I'm using some custom features that I wrote, but there might be ways to do similar things using native features. It'd just take a lot more work.

1. Use my 3D points to place points all over the sphere. I'm moving some of the points farther away from the main sphere, which will change the size of the dot later on. Note, I was running into some issues with 3D points failing when I already had the mouth cut in there. It's not as good as if Onshape made the same feature, but it works.
    2. I use my Spheres feature to make them around each point. The intersection of two spheres is always a perfect circle, so that's where we're getting the dots from.
    3. use the Split feature to make the dots, and color the faces differently.
    4. Optionally delete the spheres to clean it up.
    5. If you're doing a color 3D print or something, maybe you'd want to actually use the thicken command on each dot so they are an actual 3D shape, not just a break in the face.

Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • Options
    martin_kopplowmartin_kopplow Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
    I'd probably create something that swivels on the sphere center, such as an angled plane, then sketch my circle(s) there and project them onto the sphere. That allows to easily re-adjust the dots on the surface later, without the need to design dot objects first.