Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Using a "library" parts workflow

leecaseyleecasey Member Posts: 34 PRO
Hi guys, so I have a library part. The library part has some configuration options which will be unique to every project I use it in. So what I'm asking is what's the best approach to create a new unassociated instance of this library part within my project?

I've tried "inserting" from another project but I believe this will keep association? or am I incorrect there? I can't seem to find a way to update its configuration variable though, screenshot below. (trying to edit the 500mm without it changing the original)

Best Answer

• Options
    Answer ✓
    Problem solved...I'll leave the post in case it helps someone else someday.

I created a new configuration variable in the assembly and used the variable in the configuration variable at the part studio level. 

Answers

• Options
    OK, just going to add some extra info. I can easily change the assembly configuration, but the configuration I want to change is on the part of the linear rail. Is it possible to add that configuration to the assembly level? 
  • Options
    Answer ✓
    Problem solved...I'll leave the post in case it helps someone else someday.

I created a new configuration variable in the assembly and used the variable in the configuration variable at the part studio level. 

• Options
    nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 669 PRO
    Are you designing cnc machines by chance? I'm working on one for fun, outside of my dayjob.