Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How do I flip my part?

cashton_harmercashton_harmer Member Posts: 2
I have created my part completly upside down and it will not work for what I need. I do not know how to elegantly correct this issue, but I do not want to restart from scratch. Thanks for any help!
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/4733f862fcf7cc1e92c4aa55/w/f7f9e30e59d33c65242f3717/e/226b9e5e007ac2b172571454

Answers

• Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,504 PRO
    Use the "mirror" feature?
  • Options
    nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 666 PRO
    Your entire design is symmetrical except for 2 bosses and a rib structure that you have defined in the main sketch. It will only take 10 seconds to move the two bosses, and maybe a couple minutes to move the rib. I'd do that.
  • Options
    matthew_stacymatthew_stacy Member Posts: 476 PRO
    @cashton_harmer, in my opinion TRANSFORM (in the same drop down list as BOOLEAN) is the best tool for this task.  Select the "Rotate" method.

Place a mate connector (and edit that connector to align it's z-axis with the intended axis of rotation) to define the rotation axis.  Alternatively, you can sketch an axis in ahead of time, if you're not yet comfortable with mate connectors.

• Options
    I may have misinterpreted your question. If you mean flip the top/bottom of the part (I thought the boss locations about the right plane), then I think Mirror is the only "fast" way, as Eric mentioned.

However, I'd still personally redefine the feature to get it the right side up. You'll be kicking yourself every time you look at this part. It won't take yo long, maybe 30 minutes. Make a version right now, and open it in a new browser tab on the right side of your screen. then, open the main workspace in a browser tab on the left side of your screen. Roll both tree's back to feature 1. And step through both simultaneously one feature at a time, making sure they match up. Of course the one on the left everything will have the opposite direction on your extrudes.

If you do end up doing this, I'd also make the top plane at a different location. Either at the reveal line between the two parts, or, where the two parts mate at the top of the wall. That's a more logical place for a design like this.

Are you 3D printing this part? Why do you have a step going all the way around the perimeter. If you rethink that area, you might be able to print it without support.

Here is another way to make a similar clamshell design. Here is the link if you want to steal it: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/1cb6823e7f9cd5a4abab5faa/w/c1aaff45078b5fe9c930baa4/e/cadad55b3e2062df53f03c46?renderMode=0&uiState=6457188627c700739e29e653

• Options
    Sorry for the unsolicited advice:)

I see also your part is symmetrical, but not about the right plane. That's a no-no. You always want the right plane to be the centerline of your part, for almost any design you do. And the top plane if making something like a base with a lid, you want at the mating/parting line between the two parts.

Please, pretty please, when you redefine stretch #1, constrain your curves so they are centered about the right plane. This will save you so much time as your design progresses. Almost always there are a ton of features that can be mirrored about the right plane.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    One more question, why won't your design work as-is? I take it you will be placing it in an assembly, and mating it to other parts? If so, the orientation it was modeled in in this part studio make zero difference how it's oriented in an assembly. You can orient it any way you want within an assembly.