Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Rotating a sketch / other way to do this,

eric_carlstromeric_carlstrom Member Posts: 4
Hello!
Here's a pic of my sketch =

My idea is to have that circle & arc combo that I have up top also at those yellow circles. The problem is that since the constraints on the arc are horizontal, it doesn't translate to the angles versions on the sides.
Is there a better way to do the arc bit or could I rotate my sketch so that all 3 sections all use their own local horizontal constraints somehow?

I appreciate any and all help! 

Cheers.
Eric

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/1f170f1b74ea9aa70feafc7a/w/d5d15e8cda34c92796e00dc5/e/c85288137aa17cbceaedbb49

Given a choice, I most of the time would rather do a feature patten, rather than a sketch pattern

• Options
    edited May 2023
    By the way, in the manner that I did the extrudes, if you try and boolean those three inner cylinders with the outer part, you’re going to run into problems.

So you could either do a composite or there’s other solutions, such as doing an overlap of the inner cylindrical parts with the outer shell, or separating the cylinders from the shell. Or you could extrude the little wings up to the same elevation as the top of the cylinders and that’ll take care of it

• Options
    Added a second booleaned part studio
  • Options
    nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 669 PRO
    Do it the way Steve showed.

Why didn't you draw your part on the default planes?
  • Options
    eric_carlstromeric_carlstrom Member Posts: 4
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/1f170f1b74ea9aa70feafc7a/w/d5d15e8cda34c92796e00dc5/e/c85288137aa17cbceaedbb49

Given a choice, I most of the time would rather do a feature patten, rather than a sketch pattern

Thanks Steve!
    I apologize for the late response, but I've been swamped and unable to work on this. Looking at your sketch I instantly wanted to slap the past me. It really was not a difficult problem, even for me as a beginner but I must of gotten trapped in a box of my own making which made me unable to see this solution.
    I really appreciate the help and effort.

Cheers!
    Eric
  • Options

… I must of gotten trapped in a box of my own making which made me unable to see this solution

Happens to a lot of us

Seems like I’m trying to punch my way out of wet paper bags more often than not at times