Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How can I control multiple configurations with different part supressions in an assembly

dave_franchinodave_franchino Member Posts: 37
Hey Kind folks, I fear I'm having a conceptual block. I have created a subassembly by inserting parts from a large part studio (around 300 parts).  The drawing for the subassembly is going to be sort of complicated so I'd like to show the subassembly in a couple of "configurations" (i.e. with certain parts suppressed).  I know i could create subassemblies for this subassembly and then do drawings of each iteration but I was assuming it would be easier to simply use assembly configurations to control what parts are visible.  

So far I've not been able to figure out how to have multiple configurations with different parts suppressed (or hidden for that matter).

Can someone point me to a workflow where you can create multiple configurations of the same assembly which simply differ in which components are suppressed?

Thanks!

Answers

• Options
    David_YL_NguyenDavid_YL_Nguyen Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 90
    Hey @dave_franchino,

if I understand correctly, IK think what you want to do is create a configuration, select a part instance, and then select "unsuppressed".
    Unless the part/instance itself already has some configurations, this will be the only option to set up a new config.

Hope this helps. 

• Options
    BenTaylorBenTaylor Member Posts: 44 PRO
    Since you want to use this for creating drawings with certain parts hidden, I think the best way would be using Display States. This would keep all the parts in the assembly present and mated, but you could have as many different display states as you want with specific parts hidden. When you create a drawing, you can set the display state on insertion or through the right click menu.

If you want to use configurations for assemblies and you structure your assembly in a way where a group of parts for a configuration are in a folder, you can configure the suppression of the entire folder rather than going part by part. 
    Ben Taylor
    Lead Mechanical Engineer @ Healing Innovations
    Onshape Ambassador
  • Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,066 PRO
    BenTaylor said:
    Since you want to use this for creating drawings with certain parts hidden, I think the best way would be using Display States
    Nailed it!
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl