Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Problem Creating a "square" coil

leecaseyleecasey Member Posts: 34 PRO
Hi guys, I need to create a square coil but I can't pattern the section I need to. I want to pattern it so I can add a configuration variable to specify the amount of turns. 

Link: Coil | Part Studio 1 (onshape.com)

This is what I'm going for.....

Comments

• Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,361 PRO
    Check out "contour spiral" and all the other feature scripts in this document:
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/59007ff281e43510ea3797a2/w/a6cb15bca8f1b2bf6e312ccd/e/da24ed59289e4bf68e180e6c

• Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,064 PRO
    @leecasey
    I can't think of a use case where you truly need to boolean them together, and it will bog down your model. I recommend using a composite part for this. Here's an example of a configured square spring, and some interesting notes on my implementation:
    • I used the Contour Spiral custom feature that Simon mentioned which is written by @konstantin_shiriazdanov
    • I used my own Profile Sweeper custom feature for the wire, which automates the creation of the circle, selecting of the tangent path, and sweeping of the circle.
    • I used my own Linear Pattern Plus feature, which has the option to make a composite part when NEW is selected. This is nice, because you won't always know how many parts you want the pattern to make, so selecting them manually and using the native Composite Part feature is problematic.
    • I also used my Part Name feature to configure the name with the number of turns, which can't be done with the normal property configs in Onshape.

Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl