Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

BOM question

Brian_NielsenBrian_Nielsen Member Posts: 5 PRO
I have one part number with many configurations. I only want it to show up once in the BOM with the quantity that I am using. How do I do that?

Answers

• Options
    glen_dewsburyglen_dewsbury Member Posts: 577 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Actually, I went out of my way to take many different part numbers and lump them all into one using configurations. At this point I think I may have to go into the BOM and exclude all but one of the part number and then adjust the quantity.
    What do you think?

• Options
    Hmmm Not sure what to think. Can you show an example of what you're trying to accomplish. What is the plan to distinguish between configurations and what is the difference between configurations? Excluding items in the BOM sounds cumbersome as new configurations are added.
  • Options
    This a little unusual for me as well. The configurations are called out in a table. Which will be sent to the manufacturer. Then a flag note is used on the overall display of the final assembly. The assembly print will have the table and different dimensions outlined on one of the sheets.
    Its new to me.
  • Options
    Give me a few minutes to think on this. I did something similar a few years ago to produce a tabulated drawing for purchasing of a series of parts. It still needed distinct part numbers leading to the table.
  • Options
    Thats what I am used to also. However, I am trying to comply with established precedent here. Proving to be fun
  • Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,493 PRO
    Unfortunately I don't think there is a "clean" way of doing this in Onshape: configurations must have unique part numbers to be released. Even you don't use the release process (and or deploy some workarounds for part numbering) I am not aware of any way to have them show up in the BOM as multiple instances of the same PN...

It's pretty annoying for us as we often run into this but I'm all ears if anyone has a solution!

• Options
    edited May 2023
    @Brian_Nielsen
    I did a better job with the tabulation previously, but I was working with a pro account that allowed me to use custom properties to separate L, W & D into columns.
    Here is a sample that may help but again requires individual part numbers.
    What your describing sounds like a holdover from a 2d drawing program or from the drafting board. Have done this sort of thing in both environments with zero associativity. There was not a lot of other options back then but manual tracking. Maybe @eric_pesty can help with column formatting via custom properties since I'm working from a free account today.
    Might be time to show your guys how to do this cleaner with associativity and way faster. Need new part just add another row and up the version.
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/6f2f38f1a2b7522216ebba5b/w/30077ec248f4e1eeedf0d46e/e/1bc94d26f492c39600be06c5
  • Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,493 PRO
    It seem a bit odd to "reduce" different actual part configurations to a single part number and then "expand" again using a table of dimension on a drawing, if I am understanding what you are asking correctly. This seems like extra work and a source of error compared to just having a different part number for each different "size" of the item showing in the BOM.

What we have struggled with is having configurations representing different "states" of a single physical (think anything flexible that may have a different shape depending on where it's installed) item and having them show up as multiple items in the BOM.

I think you can now "override" qty in a drawing BOM so you can do that manually but obviously it won't update automatically if you change you assembly...
  • Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,359 PRO
    Flexible parts are a very painful example of configurations and BOMs working against one another in Onshape. We run into that too. It's especially painful since there aren't adequate tools in Onshape to warp/bend/flex parts. We have to rely on exporting, doing work in Creo and re-importing.
  • Options
    nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 663 PRO
    edited May 2023
    I've run into the same issue. I wanted to show wire ties in my assy, and how they look in real life. So I made 2 or 3 configurations, with each being pulled closed to different diameters. It's all the same PN wire tie in real life, it just looks different depending on where it is in the assy. I wasn't able to do it in the end.
  • Options
    Dang. Thought I had it for the wire ties. Got them in different shapes for the assembly using using configuration variables with the same part number.
    Unfortunately even with the same number they still show as individual items. Could make for a long BOM. LOL
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/6f2f38f1a2b7522216ebba5b/w/30077ec248f4e1eeedf0d46e/e/9f13a3fcd243b0805add8316
  • Options
    All of your comments are spot on. A lot of times I will switch to my Solidworks to manipulate a model the way I want and then re import back into Onshape.
    With respect to a single part having numerous configurations, you are correct that this is a holdover. But the person that pays the bills makes the rules!
  • Options
    justin_hodgesjustin_hodges Member Posts: 8 PRO
    nick_papageorge073 Modeling Zip ties with a few different configurations. Has anyone found a workaround to show them as only 1 part number on the BOM?