Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

dumb question from dumb user about making clone of featurescript

andrew_dean342andrew_dean342 Member Posts: 2 EDU
The short question is: Can I clone somebody else's featurescript and rename it so it is easily searched (and found) by my younger students?

long version: 
I run a school technology workshop where any kid in the school from age 5 to 18 can pop in and work on any project that inspires them.   The vast majority of the projects go through the laser cutter and two amazing featurescripts have made Onshape not only viable but awesome for younger designers:  "Laser Joint" and "auto layout".   The problem is that if you search for either of those names, you end up with a wild variety of files - many of which do not work.  There are even copies with identical and even newer version numbers that just create jibberish.

Even more frustrating, somehow the browser being used seems to give different search results, with some laptops not seeming to be able to search to these particular featurescripts and getting an entirely different search list than another computer.  I don't understand how that would happen.

Here are the two featurescripts that I know I can count on every time:  FeatureScript Laser Joint v4.4" ported by Arul Suresh: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/578830e4e4b0e65410f9c34e/v/64dbc32dae444548a578ff56/e/dfd5effddfd7f2ecce4b0246

and Auto layout... linked from a document named "n157abcanopy" and I can't figure out who actually created it:
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/7c9f53892f4773160274db90/v/37fce33c6f7c6c4896f4ba46/e/75a360708fbcb7be1ef0e184

Out of desperation I tried copying the code from each to a new featurescript studio, but it has dependencies that I didn't understand, so I'm clearly missing something.

My dream would be have versions of these named "Ao Tawhiti Laser Joint" and "Ao Tawhiti Auto Layout", (Ao Tawhiti is our school name) simply so a 7 year old could search and find only results that we know to work.  I don't wish to take credit for the original Author's work, I just want kids to have working tools without depending on me as much.  As it stands, they have to share whatever file they are working on with me for me to apply the tested featurescripts... on every project.

Any thoughts, help or public ridicule appreciated!
-a

Comments

• Options
    glen_dewsburyglen_dewsbury Member Posts: 582 ✭✭✭
    You could copy the link and store some place for your students to find then copy/past into the search bar to find exactly the same script in the add custom feature.

• Options
    andrew_dean342andrew_dean342 Member Posts: 2 EDU
    Ooh, interesting solution!  Thanks, Glen!
  • Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,065 PRO
    I don't know if the EDU subscription you're on has this, but our enterprise also has an "enterprise toolbar" which I, as an admin, can add features to, which get added to the toolbars of the whole team. If that's not available, then just working with the url is the way to go.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl