Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How do I use an imported part to remove material?

steven_wild286steven_wild286 Member Posts: 6
Hi, I've only used Onshape a few times, and I think I've tackled something too hard.

I'm trying to design a holder for a sharpie marker. I work in a laboratory where we often have to uncap and use a sharpie one-handed. My idea is to have a holder with a sharpie-shaped hole, and a flange that fits tightly under a piece of lab equipment to hold it in place. The following image shows what I've designed so far.

To start off, I downloaded a .step file of a sharpie marker/cap from Printables. Then I imported it into Onshape, deleted all the Parts except the cap, and drew my sketch and extruded around the cap. The end of the cap Part is highlighted yellow in the image above.

However, it appears that the extrusion has filled in the inside of the cap. Is there any way that I can set the cap part to "remove"? Actually, I don't want to remove the shape of the entire cap, just the hollow bit inside the cap, where the sharpie marker clips in.

I'm sure I've done this completely the wrong way. I'm looking forward to any advice that can point me in the right direction.

Here is the link to my file:

Thanks

Best Answers

Answers