Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Copy a specific version of a public document (other than "main")?

ciancicianci Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
As someone who has occasionally been accused of being a mild poweruser of git (in a software development context), this would seem to me to be somewhere between obviously necessary, and trivial to enact (since I believe I was told at one point that onshape actually uses git under the hood? Is that still accurate?). 

[Non-exhaustive] example use case: Let's say that someone wanted to fork their own new branch based upon an early version of a public document, or perhaps from a version on an alternate branch that was never resolved/merged. (This seems self-explanatory to me, but I guess let me know if that's unclear in any meaningful way?)

It is always entirely possible that I've just completely failed see the functionality right in front of me (if so, I sincerely apologize), but for the life of me I can't seem to figure out how to "make a copy" of anything other than a document's "main" node, and none of my search terms found anything relevant in the forum, either.

(Potential deeper side question, to any venerated haruspices that have studied the intricate innards of version control as implemented in onshape: Why doesn't "make a copy" just bring all the history with it, similar to fetching from a remote git repository? Is there some reason why this would be undesirable? Personally, I can't think of any...)

Help please? (Or at least confirm that it's not possible, so I can at least know I'm not crazy...? Well, for that reason, I mean.) Many thanks in advance.

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    wout_theelen541wout_theelen541 Member, csevp Posts: 198 PRO
    You're correct, it's not possible to copy off any versions I imagine you can do so with branches but I haven't check that. Make an improvement request. I'm going to guess that not copying history is probably because it's easier if there's no improvement request the team at OnShape probably hasn't put it in their cross hairs to create that functionality. If we're on the subject anyways I think having something like allowing for branching from the public document themselves would be pretty neat, it would be really great for design competitions and open source development.
  • Options
    MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,713 PRO
    edited June 2023 Answer ✓

It is possible to copy a version of a document. While viewing the version, select the document options at the top left > Copy version

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • Options
    ciancicianci Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    Much obliged, thank you. 
  • Options
    nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 663 PRO
    Wow, I too didn't know this was possible. Thank.
  • Options
    wout_theelen541wout_theelen541 Member, csevp Posts: 198 PRO
    Well, I was wrong, thanks for showing that.