Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Speaker Pods For Car

mark_lashtamark_lashta Member Posts: 2
Hello,
I'm trying to build some speaker pods for my car that will have a 1"tweeter and a 2.5" midrange and the will mount on the pillar beside the windshield. I have taken a 3d scan of the pillar and have the speaker pods drafted just fine. 

I'm struggling to build what is essentially a loft between the pod and the pillar. I've had medium success, part "Double Loft" is my first try but I wanted to angle the speakers toward the listening position more. I was able to get "TweeterLoft" to work, though its not as refined as I would like. I'm struggling to get the midrange loft to work. I think it's because I can't construct a plane that runs the full depth of the midrange, that is between the midrange and the pillar, but doesn't collide with either the midrange or the pillar.

I'm looking for some assistance. This is my first time asking for help here so I'm not sure the best way to get help. I feel like if there was a way I could just create a plane that is normal to the camera angle and then had controls to offset it, that would be amazing and solve everything. But I'm struggling with drawling lines to create new planes to draw more lines to create more planes where I think they will allow me to do what I want to do.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/b4e925417b9091eacd6fb1bf/w/7e2a447897b0b1d3cc66559d/e/d45d828bbcce4aa838967b2d?renderMode=0&uiState=647e58bf425e8659e82d2c0d

Comments

• Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,064 PRO
    It's always a struggle for me to understand this stuff from text alone, so any images you can share of the goal will help, preferably marked up with lines and whatnot.

There's no way to use the camera angle in a feature to generate a plane like there is in some other software. Onshape is very dedicated to repeatability, and basing things off of un-repeatable things like mouse locations, camera angles, or time of day is somewhat at odds with that (though I could personally see a case for making them available to featurescript developers as an input anyway, provided they're frozen in the feature once it's set). Making planes in 3D space can be hard for sure. I've made two custom features which could help; Freeform Spline and 3D Points.
    • 3D points makes points in space. It can make planes or points, and you could pick another object to set the direction.
    • Freeform Spline could be used to make a straight line in 3D space, which can be used to make a plane downstream anywhere you want in space, pointing any direction you want. You could think of 1 point at the plane origin, and the other as the plane direction. I think this is probably the closest to what you want. Here's an example where I've clicked the "Final" button while I edit the spline so you can see the result.

Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl