Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Problem with define layers contain fiber

parisa_kohansalparisa_kohansal Member Posts: 2
Hello everyone,
I have a question that is a big problem for me and my project stuck into it . I already designed some shapes in Onshape, and I want to process them on another software that called Eiger for 3D printing, I have this problem that for some of shapes I can define layer contain fiber on Eiger but for some shapes it is not possible, is there anything at designing part that I should know to don’t have this problem in Onshape ?
thanks in advance for your support and time 

Comments

• Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,066 PRO
    We use Eiger too, but don't have the continuous fiber machine, so I've not done that exact workflow, however I'm familiar with adding pauses, and support modifiers in Eiger. I imagine it has something to do with your part geometry moreso than anything to do with Onshape. If you share your part or an image of it maybe we can be more helpful, but until then, consider looking at Eiger's training materials.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • Options
    tim_hesstim_hess Member Posts: 46 ✭✭
    I've designed parts and printed them with fiber in Eiger.

The first reason that I can think of at the moment, for not allowing fiber on certain layers would be dimension constraints. There will only be fiber laid where there is enough thickness for it (walls, ribs, and small features can be too narrow). Also, the total area of the cross section has to be big enough for the fiber. Since the blade that cuts the fiber is located away from the printer's nozzle, there's a minimum length of fiber that needs to be laid down for each layer. So, if that minimum length is 100 mm (just as an example), but your layer can only fit 75mm of fiber, then Eiger won't allow any fiber to be placed at all. 

Another thing to keep in mind is that the fiber only works at specific layer thicknesses, so it could be worth double checking those as well. I haven't used the software in a while - do they have any sort of adaptive or variable layer thickness settings now? If so, that could maybe get in the way as well.