Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Need help with positioning a rectangular object into a rectangular sink

a_v553a_v553 Member Posts: 2
Hey y'all! I am relatively new to Onshape and need some advice. I am designing a component that requires a rectangular nameplate to be positioned in a rectangular sink. They both have the same dimensions as the nameplate should sit flush with the top of the main body Is there any way to do this, whether manually or automatically? Thanks in advance!

Answers

• Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,368 PRO
    There are many different ways to do this. How do you want to be able to change this in the future? Which part do you want to drive the other? What about clearance dimensions/tolerances? How will this be manufactured?
  • Options
    dirk_van_der_vaartdirk_van_der_vaart Member Posts: 543 ✭✭✭
    Try looking in the help files,
    https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/mate-fastened.htm?tocpath=Assemblies|Mates|_____1
    Or else the learning center
  • Options
    John_vd_WerffJohn_vd_Werff Member Posts: 65 PRO
    I would use the 'Fastened mate', select the center of the bottom face of the name plate and then select the center of bottom of the sink. Use the rotate option if neccesary.
    You can also use any corner of the bottom face for this. I prefere to use centers if possible, this leaves the possibility to add chamfers or blends later on.without breaking the mate.