Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Automatically add in the Derive Part or Assembly name

Sarah_FisherSarah_Fisher Member Posts: 2 PRO
Currently, when adding in a derived sketch or part into a part studio, the name of that entity is not brought in with it and you have to manually rename it. Can the name automatically be derived in too?

Comments

• Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,388 PRO
    Definitely agreed. 

There are a few improvement requests which are related, nothing exactly like what you're requesting.
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/10891/expand-collapse-derived-feature
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/14608/derived-show-derived-sketch-plane-names-within-workspace

• Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,066 PRO
    edited June 2023
    I like that at least as an optional thing. I considered making my own version of Derive to do this and a few other things. It wouldn't apply to every Derive workflow, but if you're deriving something as a reference it could:
    • Name the part (optionally appended with "reference only" or something)
    • change the appearance of the part to mark it as something you don't want to put in an assembly (if you're just using it as a reference to design around)
    • mark it "Not Revision Managed"
    • exclude it from the BoM
    It could also steal all of the nice functionality of Super Derive for placing more than one part around and doing a boolean operation.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl