Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How do I do a removal extrude on the curved side of a loft?

travis_grenelltravis_grenell Member Posts: 11
I need to extrude a hole on the curved side of a loft, but it won't let me select that edge of the loft. What do I do? I've tried drawing it in thin on a plane air but then it won't let me do a removal extrusion.

In a related problem, I need to make the hole I'm extruding be perpendicular to the part, not the loft edge. How do I do that?

Comments

• Options
    glen_dewsburyglen_dewsbury Member Posts: 595 ✭✭✭
    Can you post a link to the document.
    It would help to see what you're saying.
  • Options
    steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2023
    @travis_grenell

One way is by using — Surface Tangent Plane

The first GIF, which is the one directly below, shows you how to set up a TANGENT plane which is the first step

Once you make a tangent plane as shown above, then you can use that plane to make a sketch in order to place a point on that plane, because what looks like a point on the plane when the plane is created, will not act as a point for creating a hole

So you place a point on the plane, and make it coincident with the center of the plane

Now you can use the hole tool on that point, as shown below

• Options
    steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2023
    Here is the Surface Tangent Plane featurescript

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/0de04acb5bac92ca16796edf/v/685026de2603b19fd2c6003d/e/680f0565e919e6e39a06f4df

And here is how to install a featurescript