Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Can onshape convert this model into a solid?

carlos_berdealcarlos_berdeal Member Posts: 76 ✭✭

I am trying to make this a solid. Can it be done? If so can someone point me that way? Thank you!

Comments

• Options
    glen_dewsburyglen_dewsbury Member Posts: 602 ✭✭✭
    @carlos_berdeal
    The derived part has been converted to a solid during the import because of the option to join adjacent surfaces.

Is this a scanned model? It is non uniform and certainly not symmetrical. That's why it has the surface split up all over the place.
    OS is having difficulty with the shell because some of the surfaces are trying to fold back on themselves, particularly around the dimple. I changed the shell to 0.01 and it worked but trying to increase thickness caused a serious performance issue.
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/a3f482a5c6fb94d76a65f0e2/w/dd08b28ca3506681d2b451f3/e/5d6a3f456edeee48d8355145
    If you feel a need to rebuild for accuracy, I generated part studio 2 as an example. You would want an approximate trace of the original of course.
  • Options
    @glen_dewsbury Would this be a better model to work with as I filled in the dimple? What process do you use?
  • Options
    @glen_dewsbury How do I see part studio 2 I do not see it. Thank you for your help as well.
  • Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,411 PRO
    You can use this model as a reference, but I would never use those surfaces for anything which was going to be manufactured. A quick 3D print - maybe. 

You will need to create clean curves, and then you may be able to create good surfaces which can be used for downstream detailing.

What tool was this originally modeled in? How was it exported?

What are you trying to do with the shell?

This surface topology is really bizarre. I've never seen anything quite like this.

• Options
    glen_dewsburyglen_dewsbury Member Posts: 602 ✭✭✭
    @glen_dewsbury How do I see part studio 2 I do not see it. Thank you for your help as well.
    @carlos_berdeal
    SRY. Missed your question. Meant to say part studio 1. There may have been a studio 2 but got deleted.
  • Options
    lanalana Onshape Employees Posts: 699
    This surface topology is really bizarre. I've never seen anything quite like this.

I'm guessing sub-div exported as NURBS 

Agree with S1mon - if you do any sort of modeling based off this geometry, the result are not going to be great.